I wanna be a monk

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
DJCT

I wanna be a monk

Post by DJCT »

Im serious about this, im in australia and I am really over living the life that I have been led to believe in.

Being a Monk is the only way I can envisage some form of resistance to the life that many of us have been convinced to live.

But there are some attachments, which I hope I can take with me (at least to begin with).

First,

Can I put my records, and record player in storage, while I am a monk?

second,

Can I bring my dog to the monestary with me?

third,

Can I excersise while being a monk? (im a bit portley at the moment and would like to go for brisk walks with my dog)

fourth,

Can I maintain my medication while being a monk? (i have been diagnosed with a mental illness)

I have many other questions but these are the crunchers.
Last edited by DJCT on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DJCT

Re: I wanna be a monk

Post by DJCT »

i think my dog is great and i really like ants. I even ike spiders.

Can a Monk ride a bicycle?

i really need to know these things.

I'm serious about this
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you're still clinging to your record collection, you might find the monk's life difficult to follow. If you want to see what the monk's life is like, without fully commiting, then look for a monastery that accepts lay visitors, e.g. Bodhinyanarama

The dog will have to go to live with a friend, and monks don't ride bicycles. It would make it much easier for me to get around, but the robes would get caught up in the wheels — its really not practical, and would not be permitted.

Exercise is recommended. If you join the Thai Forest Sangha you will get plenty of exercise.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

DJCT wrote: I'm serious about this
What city are you in? If you're in Perth I could take you to meet the monks some weekend.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
DJCT

Post by DJCT »

Id love to do that but alas I'm in NSW

Ive always wanted to visit perth