Violence in dreams

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
greenfrog

Violence in dreams

Post by greenfrog »

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to put this, hopefully here is alright.

I've got a bit of an issue with being violent in my dreams. I am not a violent person in daily life, and never have been, yet I quite often find myself causing grievous injury to people in my dreams. I usually wake up soon after, and am left wondering how I could have done such things.

The people I am attacking, or defending myself from, aren't anyone who I know or hold grudges against. I don't feel like violence is an urge I am suppressing in daily life.

Has anyone had a similar experience with being violent in their dreams?

Mawkish1983

Re: Violence in dreams

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Well I've never experienced dreams like you've described, but I wouldn't be too concerned about it if I were you. Just keep focusing on the moment and make wholesome decisions when you are in control of your own thoughts. I imagine a bit of metta bhavana might help eliminate those nightmares though.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Sounds like some violent "inception" in your subconscious :spy:

Compare:

Inception and Lucid Dreaming: Truth Behind the Movie
http://john-b-badd.hubpages.com/hub/Inc ... d-Dreaming" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Greenfrog
I see bad dreams when I eat certain food. Mainly meat. May be du to indigestion. So makesure that you take your main meal, say three hours before the meal.
I also found that some of my dreams related to my health. So get yourself checked.
Lack of sleeps due to unfitness or lack of exercise.
Do some Metta meditaion before sleep.
Observe five precepts.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
jackson

Post by jackson »

Hi greenfrog,
Do you play violent video games or watch violent media? From personal experience I used to have violent dreams fairly frequently when I was younger but have found that not consuming violent content has led to a resensitization to violence and now violent dreams very rarely occur. Stay away from zombie movies! :popcorn:
Just to add some words of the Buddha: "Bhikkhus, whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind."
http://www.palicanon.org/en/sutta-pitak ... ought.html
Last edited by jackson on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah
ground

Post by ground »

Don't bother. It is neither you nor yours. And yes, you may want to check what is impressing your senses when you are awake (movies, news, games, books) and refrain from these sources in case these dreams are disturbing you. :sage:
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't play violent video games, or watch violent movies or anything like that. I don't even listen to violent music!

I don't believe eating meat can cause bad dreams sorry, so I don't think that could be the cause.

In the dreams I am usually being attacked/murdered, and I am fighting back out of a fear of dying I suppose. I often think about the Kakacupama Sutta (MN21) within which the Buddha says that if one gets angry even when you are having your limbs cut off by highway robbers, that person is not upholding his teaching. I like to think of myself as a patient person, but my reaction to such situations in dreams say otherwise! Maybe I should work harder on my patience..

Best regards :)
ground

Post by ground »

greenfrog wrote:... out of a fear of dying I suppose.
That may be investigated further.
greenfrog wrote: I often think about the Kakacupama Sutta (MN21) within which the Buddha says that if one gets angry even when you are having your limbs cut off by highway robbers, that person is not upholding his teaching. I like to think of myself as a patient person, but my reaction to such situations in dreams say otherwise! Maybe I should work harder on my patience.
Maybe good to be aware that "not getting angry" does not necessarily mean to abstain from defense. :sage:
Ben

Post by Ben »

greenfrog,

I would not worry about the dreams. The events that occur in them - they are not real.
kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
marc108

Post by marc108 »

you and try to do a little metta before bed... probably any reflection that brings up good feelings, re: reflection on your sila, or your good qualities, will help.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One sleeps easily, wakes easily, dreams no evil dreams.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

greenfrog wrote:In the dreams I am usually being attacked/murdered, and I am fighting back out of a fear of dying I suppose...
Is it possible that the dream situations dramatise an oppressive situation in your daily life, such as being bullied at work? If so, recognising the cause may let you work on it in real life instead of having it emerge in dreams.
But as others have said, do stay physically and mentally healthy and don't think too much about your dreams. They can't hurt you, and they will pass soon enough.

:namaste:
Kim
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Thank you everyone, I'll try not to stress over it too much if it happens again in the future :)