School teacher -- a good career choice for a layperson?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Mawkish1983

Re: School teacher -- a good career choice for a layperson?

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Billymac29 wrote:Have you ever taught at risk youths? Children with behavior problems? Children who have been kicked out of mainstream school because of behavior issues?
I don't believe it to be relevant, but yes, for seven weeks I was at just such a school.
Billymac29 wrote:You teach PHYSICS! Oh what joy I would have to teach physics in my new school.. Totally different type of students in those classes.
In the UK, science education is compulsory. Not a different type of student whatsoever. No-one made you choose your subject, but ALL subjects can be made engaging.
Billymac29 wrote:Like I said earlier. It all depends on what you teach, who you teach, and where you teach.
No, it doesn't.
Billymac29 wrote:You can only speak of your experience. Please don't try and judge me on mine.
I didn't.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Billymac29 wrote:
Thirteen weeks of holiday (or 'vacation' if you're American, I think) per year.
this is incorrect
No, it isn't (in the UK).
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
Billymac29 wrote:
Thirteen weeks of holiday (or 'vacation' if you're American, I think) per year.
this is incorrect
No, it isn't (in the UK).
I was talking about in America.

may all be well
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Mawkish1983 wrote:I don't believe it to be relevant, but yes, for seven weeks I was at just such a school.
Nope, not surprised that you wouldn't see it as relevant. You taught physics to alternative kids for 7 weeks??? What kind of alternative school was that?? Nevermind, I don't wanna know. We are obviously not talking about the same "type" of school.
Mawkish1983 wrote:In the UK, science education is compulsory. Not a different type of student whatsoever.
science is mandatory here too. physic classes are much easier to teach. :stirthepot:
Mawkish1983 wrote:No-one made you choose your subject, but ALL subjects can be made engaging.
I never said anybody did force me. And I didn't say I didn't like math. i never said anything about engaging kids or not. thats your rhetoric. You seem to be pretty horrible at assuming things. That whole comment of yours is just weird.
Like I said earlier. It all depends on what you teach, who you teach, and where you teach.
Mawkish1983 wrote:No, it doesn't.
yes it does ;)
Billymac29 wrote:You can only speak of your experience. Please don't try and judge me on mine.
Mawkish1983 wrote:I didn't.
okie dokie
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Mawkish1983 wrote: In my - admittedly short - career so far, I've never had significant behaviour problems even though my colleagues have. Why?
Wait a minute.. Have you only been teaching for 4 months???? Please get some experience before making outlandish remarks..
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Billymac29 wrote:
Mawkish1983 wrote: In my - admittedly short - career so far, I've never had significant behaviour problems even though my colleagues have. Why?
Wait a minute.. Have you only been teaching for 4 months???? Please get some experience before making outlandish remarks..
Much more than four months.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Billymac29, are you aware that my sweeping generalisations are just that, and as such are not directed at you?

All I've said I believe to be true. The original question was about whether teaching was a compatible career with Buddhist lay practice, and I said it certainly was, stating the reasons. My assessment of why I believe some teachers do not have as positive an experience as me are based on my interactions with other teachers who are happy to tell the world how stressful and difficult the job is. I just don't see it. Please do not take my rhetoric as a personal or professional attack on you. (Not that you said you do, but I am under that impression).
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Mawkish1983 wrote:Billymac29, are you aware that my sweeping generalisations are just that, and as such are not directed at you?

All I've said I believe to be true. The original question was about whether teaching was a compatible career with Buddhist lay practice, and I said it certainly was, stating the reasons. My assessment of why I believe some teachers do not have as positive an experience as me are based on my interactions with other teachers who are happy to tell the world how stressful and difficult the job is. I just don't see it. Please do not take my rhetoric as a personal or professional attack on you. (Not that you said you do, but I am under that impression).
no one has said teaching is wrong livelihood... You said it yourself:
My assessment of why I believe some teachers do not have as positive an experience as me are based on my interactions

You do not know the teaching profession of all subjects or in all cities let alone states and countries. There are many levels of teaching that a 1 or 2 year teacher has yet to experience. There are many areas in the world with different kinds of societies and behaviors.

Have you dealt with guns and shootings in your school? Have you had bomb threats?... Have you dealt with students beating teachers into hospitalization??? Have you ever taught in Compton LA, CA? Camden, NJ? Detroit, MI? Newark, NJ? Or any city that is over polluted with severe gang violence?

have a good school day

with metta
Last edited by badscooter on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

So be it.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

pascal wrote:Hi,

do you think becoming a school teacher would be a good career choice for a lay Buddhist practitioner? I'm currently considering this (even though the option to ordain as a monk is also on my table), and I'd like to know if there are any serious downsides to it, from your perspective.

pascal

i think its a great career, especially for lay person. i've never done it, but most people i know who do it seem to like it. also theres lots of time off for retreat.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
nonik

Post by nonik »

pascal wrote:Hi,

do you think becoming a school teacher would be a good career choice for a lay Buddhist practitioner? I'm currently considering this (even though the option to ordain as a monk is also on my table), and I'd like to know if there are any serious downsides to it, from your perspective.

pascal
Hi Pascal :

I'm not sure if it's already been recommended but there's an apropos section on education in Ajahn Sumedho's book The Mind and the Way (Chapter #17 -- Education for Life). My personal favorite quote:

"Teachers don’t need to be like monks or nuns, but their purpose should be one of generosity. Their intention should be to make themselves worthy of leading; they should try to be the kind of people who arouse respect and trust."

And one more:

"Right education is that which leads children, adults, monks, nuns, Christians, Hindus, Muslims—the whole lot—toward what we have in common, rather than emphasizing what separates us."

With warmth :
Nik
Last edited by nonik on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Teaching: what a great way to illustrate for a new generation what it means to be on this path. To practice day to day as a would be bodhisatta in a classroom, and without any proselytizing, represent in your actions before a large group of young people what the Eightfold Path looks like in action, i not in words. A very nice opportunity, and one that might not be gained in a cubicle in a large insurance company.