Theravada or Mahyanaa

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
lojong1

Re: Theravada or Mahyanaa

Post by lojong1 »

I consider Theravada to be Mahayana, which includes Hinayana.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

lojong1 wrote:I consider Theravada to be Mahayana, which includes Hinayana.
:coffee:

:shrug:

What am I reading?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

lojong1 wrote:I consider Theravada to be Mahayana, which includes Hinayana.
Hi Lojong
You may actually want to read This.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Thank you cittasanto,
So...I'm not 100% whackjob from every perspective, thanks for that :smile:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

lojong1 wrote:Thank you cittasanto,
So...I'm not 100% whackjob from every perspective, thanks for that :smile:
I will consider you 100% human
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

barcsimalsi wrote:It is more like Atheism vs Pagansim with the help of Buddha's footsteps.
Interesting analogy.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Raitanator

Post by Raitanator »

porpoise wrote:
barcsimalsi wrote:It is more like Atheism vs Pagansim with the help of Buddha's footsteps.
Interesting analogy.
I wonder what's it's based on.
barcsimalsi

Post by barcsimalsi »

Raitanator wrote:
porpoise wrote:
Interesting analogy.
I wonder what's it's based on.
Just my personal opinion on what i read:
Theravada (The Teachings of the Elders)
The teaching of the Buddha according to this school is very plain. He asks us to ‘abstain from all kinds of evil, to accumulate all that is good and to purify our mind’. These can be accomplished by The Three Trainings: the development of ethical conduct, meditation and insight-wisdom...

Mahayana (The Great Vehicle)
The Mahayana is more of an umbrella body for a great variety of schools, from the Tantra school (the secret teaching of Yoga) well represented in Tibet and Nepal to the Pure Land sect, whose essential teaching is that salvation can be attained only through absolute trust in the saving power of Amitabha, longing to be reborn in his paradise through his grace...
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/bud ... hools1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/snapshot02.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus the observable fact that
>most users in Theravada forum aren't keen in going to Boddhisattva pure land.
>lots of questions & opinions post on this forum are very much atheist or agnostic minded rather than being indigenous.

Despite my statement above, i consider the true meaning of this 2 different schools are much deeper and complex than what i thought.