Is there a point to non continues awareness

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
purple planet

Is there a point to non continues awareness

Post by purple planet »

Is there a point to non continues awareness - or is it just a waste of time ? (if i do it one day yes one not being mindful at all OR if i do every day but im not mindful most of the day just in the evning and morning i stay mindful)
Cittasanto

Re: Is there a point to non continues awareness

Post by Cittasanto »

Are you asking is there a point to not being mindful all day?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Have i just been zenfide ?

That is a great answer :D - i wanted to reply "cause its hard" but i guess that if the noting is done correctly then its not meant to be hard if we dont attach

i will still like to hear what other reason people have - just for the intrest also when i will have a hard time and think i wasted all my time and also for future people who run throw this thread
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

purple planet wrote:Have i just been zenfide ?

That is a great answer :D - i wanted to reply "cause its hard" but i guess that if the noting is done correctly then its not meant to be hard if we dont attach

i will still like to hear what other reason people have - just for the intrest also when i will have a hard time and think i wasted all my time and also for future people who run throw this thread
No, I was looking for clarification, your question isn't 100% clear in the OP.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I read "Is there a point to non-continuous awareness?" which I take to be asking whether non-ideal practice has any benefit. In other words, it seems to be asking if piecemeal effort is beneficial or a waste of time.

But maybe something else was meant, such as whether there was more benefit in one day a week vs. one or two hours a day...

:shrug:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I read "Is there a point to non-continuous awareness?" which I take to be asking whether non-ideal practice has any benefit. In other words, it seems to be asking if piecemeal effort is beneficial or a waste of time.
yes that is my question exactly -
still a great answer lol - ( i usually dont like this answers that i get that answer my question with a question for a question except this case)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

purple planet wrote:
yes that is my question exactly - tha
still a great answer lol - ( i usually dont like this answers that i get that answer my question with a question for a question except this case)
As I have already said that wasn't an answer, it was actually a question.

as your question is about ideal situation...
when you clean your home it is not an ideal level of cleanliness at the start, and it deeds doing one bit at a time, to get to the ideal.
Practice turnes every situation into the ideal situation by taking one step at a time. cleaning as you go, untill we no longer have to clean up anymore.

John Stuart Mill
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

ok ok i will answer lol -

yes that is what i am asking - is there a point in noticing only part of the day -
when you clean your home it is not an ideal level of cleanliness at the start, and it deeds doing one bit at a time, to get to the ideal.
Practice turnes every situation into the ideal situation by taking one step at a time. cleaning as you go, untill we no longer have to clean up anymore.
there is a lot of emphasis in stuff i read on constant awareness - that this helps raise insight
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

purple planet wrote:
ok ok i will answer lol -

yes that is what i am asking - is there a point in noticing only part of the day -
there is a lot of emphasis in stuff i read on constant awareness - that this helps raise insight
Yes, it is helpful, noticing the three characteristics is easier when you are focused on what you are doing (see clear comprehension section of the satipatthana sutta). you are in essence bringing practice into everyday life.

John Stuart Mill
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

purple planet wrote:Is there a point to non continues awareness - or is it just a waste of time ? (if i do it one day yes one not being mindful at all OR if i do every day but im not mindful most of the day just in the evning and morning i stay mindful)
There is a benefit to it because a good amount of mindfulness is better than having only a little bit.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.