Hello from California

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Jerrod Lopes

Hello from California

Post by Jerrod Lopes »

Hello everyone,

My name is Jerrod. I've been practicing in the Theravada tradition for nearly 10 years and am formerly a moderator for another international Theravada forum. It hadn't really occurred to me to look into other forums until very recently. I really enjoy talking about the dhamma, learning and helping others. I am excited to meet some new fellow travelers of the middle path and learn something new. I hope to rejuvenate my practice which has fallen a bit by the wayside. I keep 5 precepts but have gotten away from a regular meditation practice which I will be reimplementing soon as I know for certain what a difference it makes for me. Really looking forward to interacting here.
Khalil Bodhi

Re: Hello from California

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome to DW Jerrod! I thought I recognized your name.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Jerrod Lopes

Post by Jerrod Lopes »

Hi Khalil. I recall your avatar. Nice to see you. I se eyou'r win NYC? I went to school there and lived over near Bloomfield, NJ. Really miss it back there. Be well my friend and thanks for the reply! :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Jerrod and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
As a matter of interest, which other discussion board were you a moderator at?
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Jerrod,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel! :group:

(I'm a member of that 'other' board also. Enjoy reading you therre :smile: )

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Jerrod Lopes

Post by Jerrod Lopes »

Hi Ben, and thanks for the welcome. To answer your question I was a mod at the Dhammaloka.org site which is run by the Buddhist Society of Western Australia. A truly wonderful and inspiring group of lay people and monastics. Alas, all is transient, so here I am. :)

Chris, I thank you as well for the welcome and you compliment. I only hope you haven't read lately, LOL. I hope I'll get the chance to get to know you here. I'll likely still be on the BSWA site but not contributing much there for a while. I'm just going to sit back and watch for a while and keep in touch with the monastics as needs be.

Looking forward to learning here and refreshing my online dhamma experience. Thanks again gentlemen. :smile:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
:hello:
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Jerrod!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Recognize your name from Dhammaloka, welcome to Dhammawheel. Where in Cali are you?
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Welcome to Dhammawheel, Jerrod! I look forward to seeing you around.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
Jerrod Lopes

Post by Jerrod Lopes »

Hey Marc,

I'm in the Stockton area. Where are you at? Thanks for the welcome.
Jerrod Lopes

Post by Jerrod Lopes »

Thanks Bakmoon. I hope I'll learn something form you here. Thanks for the welcome.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Jerrod Lopes wrote:Hey Marc,

I'm in the Stockton area. Where are you at? Thanks for the welcome.

I live in Sacramento, also oddly enough grew up in NJ :)
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Jerrod Lopes

Post by Jerrod Lopes »

marc108 wrote:
Jerrod Lopes wrote:Hey Marc,

I live in Sacramento, also oddly enough grew up in NJ :)
Wow. This is quite interesting. I lived in Montclair, next to Bloomfield/Newark/West Orange... What about you? Maybe one of these days we'll cross paths in person.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Jerrod Lopes wrote: Wow. This is quite interesting. I lived in Montclair, next to Bloomfield/Newark/West Orange... What about you? Maybe one of these days we'll cross paths in person.
i lived in Hillsborough, near princeton. about 45 mins from Montclair :jumping: shoot me a PM anytime