Thoughts on weightlifting

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
danieLion

Re: Thoughts on weightlifting

Post by danieLion »

It gives me relief from my chronic pain, depression, anxiety and grumpiness.

It's quite scientific.

M.D., Columbia Professor & Co-author of Younger Next Year:

"We used to age, now we just rot and decay."

There's also this Scientific American article on the benefits of exercise.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Friends,

I do some weightlifting as part of my daily routine, often after sitting meditation. I just use light hand weights and emphasize slow, circular motions. This does have health benefits, but for me it is a good way to develop body mindfulness--real kāyagatasati.

Richard
alan

Post by alan »

Weightlifting is good for your body. This fact is so obvious it should not have to be mentioned, and yet, once again I hear the same old stuff. Reminds me of the guy I saw yesterday--an older gentleman, who observed my morning Yoga. I got the universal reply:
"I'm too stiff to do that".
Well, yeah, of course you are. That's because you don't do Yoga. See? It's not complicated. If you are stiff, you should stretch. If you are thin, you should build muscle.
How do you build muscle? By lifting weights. We're all aging, and our muscles are too. Good advice to all: be nice to your body. The effort will reward you several times over.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

alan wrote:Weightlifting is good for your body. This fact is so obvious it should not have to be mentioned, and yet, once again I hear the same old stuff. Reminds me of the guy I saw yesterday--an older gentleman, who observed my morning Yoga. I got the universal reply:
"I'm too stiff to do that".
Well, yeah, of course you are. That's because you don't do Yoga. See? It's not complicated. If you are stiff, you should stretch. If you are thin, you should build muscle.
How do you build muscle? By lifting weights. We're all aging, and our muscles are too. Good advice to all: be nice to your body. The effort will reward you several times over.
Nice one, Alan!
corrine

Post by corrine »

There is another side to this issue. Several decades ago my late husband had cancer and the treatment was physically daunting. He lost 55 pounds in six weeks and was very weak. He needed me to physically help him. Well, he was six four and two twenty (at the start of treatment) and I was five four and about a hundred pounds lighter. I found it almost impossible to help him and physically hurt myself trying to do so. I learned a big lesson. I needed to be physically stronger. So I started lifting weights. I still do so and it has allowed me to develop enough upper body strength to take care of myself and others and do what I need to do.

Physical strength training need not be about building big bulky muscles but can be simply about taking the best care of our bodies, as we are able. I believe that our bodies should be taken care of to the best of our ability. My weight lifting allows me to be independent now that I am alone. I am strong enough to do what needs to be done and still live independently. It enables me to volunteer and really help out. I frequently carry heavy book-laden boxes and I am not injured.

So this can be a vanity issue or it can be a 'taking good care of my health' issue, especially for women. And it helps to avoid what can become debilitating injuries. I see that among my friends. They never lift and then when they have to, they seriously injure themselves. I think physical exercise of all kinds is just part of our responsibility to take care of ourselves. I highly recommend all forms of exercise. Lifting weights even helps with easing arthritis. The stronger we are, the less we stress our joints.

corrine :namaste:
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

corrine wrote:Lifting weights even helps with easing arthritis. The stronger we are, the less we stress our joints.

Very true: a little pain for a lot of gain. Weight lifting (to "lactate burn") releases growth and repair hormones (and I find it enhances mindfulness of body).
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

danieLion wrote:
corrine wrote:Lifting weights even helps with easing arthritis. The stronger we are, the less we stress our joints.

Very true: a little pain for a lot of gain. Weight lifting (to "lactate burn") releases growth and repair hormones (and I find it enhances mindfulness of body).
It is the anandamides.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

It is the anandamides.
Chicks dig sesquipedalians with six-pack abs.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

tiltbillings wrote:
danieLion wrote:

It is the anandamides.
They're in the mix, yes (along with dopamine, serotonin, adrenaline, endorphins, etc...), but I had interleukin-6 (the "rot and decay" cluster of hormones that remain at low and steady levels in our blood when we sit around too much) and interleukin-10 (the "repair and growth" cluster of hormones triggered by elevating interleukin-6 in our blood through micro-traumatizing ourselves with aerobics and strengthening) in mind.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Digity wrote:What are your thoughts on weightlifting? Do you think it's bad since it can promote vanity and increase one's ego? It also involves consuming lots of food to add mass. In the past, I took up weightlifting in an attempt to improve my physique and confidence. Although, after six months of doing it I got tired of it. I wasn't overly impressed with my early results and hated focusing so much on my outer appearance.

I signed up for a gym today and plan to do cardio and weightlifting just so I can maintain my general health. Although, I wonder if after a while I'll want to start lifting seriously again and whether that's a good thing.
If you want to so something for your overall health that's something the Buddha advocated.

awimming is probably the most highly recommended sport, as it will train the whole body and all muscles, plus the endurance, and so it's exellent cardiac training, whilst sparing the joints a lot more than jogging.

Bicycling is also more recommendable than jogging, for said reasons, as being less stress on the joints and also excellent cardiac training.

Swimming, however, will also train the upper body, which is probably why you took up weightlifting to begin with.

Now that you've signed up in a gym, you should not only focus in broad shoulders and bioceps but work out the whole body, back muscles, six pack and legs as well.

I am sure they can develop a program for you.

If you don't mind an honest word, -I can't think of anything more dull than working out with machines and weights.

I'd always prefer swimming or ball games, it's so satisfying to play with others in a team, and so much fun to play "dolphin"...! ;)
alan

Post by alan »

Working out with weights does not have to be dull.
Personally, when I have two heavy dumbells over my head in an incline press, I'm very focused. You will be too. Just make the weight heavy enough. If you do that I'm certain it will focus your mind!
Digity

Post by Digity »

alan wrote:Working out with weights does not have to be dull.
Personally, when I have two heavy dumbells over my head in an incline press, I'm very focused. You will be too. Just make the weight heavy enough. If you do that I'm certain it will focus your mind!
Weightlifting is actually a good time to practice mindfulness. I did it with my pull-ups today and noticed I was actually able to do more than I expected when I was focused and mindful.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

alan wrote:Working out with weights does not have to be dull.
Yes, when I snatch overhead 71 pound Kettlebell with one hand I have to be mindful and focused!
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

tiltbillings wrote:It is the anandamides.
Yeh. I am addicted to them and endorphins. The pump!
Annapurna wrote:If you don't mind an honest word, -I can't think of anything more dull than working out with machines and weights.
And I am addicted to lifting them. The pump is great mood elevator and pain killer - it is like a legal drug. Too bad I can't workout every day twice a day. Also too bad that occasionally my skin rips to blood belowe my fingers...

Here is awesome clip from former two time Governor of California about the pump:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMjG2s6UOaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
manas

Post by manas »

I just walk, and quite alot...and can't afford much else. But it seems to be enough, because if I need to make a run for a train approaching the station, my body still has what it takes for a burst of speed, running down the street.

Imho, so long as the body is fit enough to undertake our given occupation properly, and is able to sit for a decent amount of time in meditation posture without harming knees or back, what more is needed? Why worry too much about something that could, in the realms of possibility, shut down and stop working any day or hour, and in any case one day, definitely will?
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.