Theravada Question

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Righteous path

Theravada Question

Post by Righteous path »

Like Kona in the post below. or i should above. i want to embrace Buddhism myself as well. im a fresh newbie too.
in this forum, I asked a little while ago the best way to go about theravada.. or maybe i havent, My mind is going in 1000 directions at 10,000 miles per hour.

I dont have a zen master or any teachers in my area.
My daughters mother and I are trying to achieve peace within us, and learn the Theravada and zen, so that we too, can become masters.. and maybe at both.
i wanted to know some daily practices for a person who cannot got to the Goenka retreat, and wants to work on achieving the nirvana state, and make daily progress in a busy schedule.. I could take a weekend sometime and do a personal two day retreat at my own home.
But, as probably a lot of us, I have a busy schedule, plus Im job hunting right now... and I could really use the inner peace and anticipated prosperity that comes with the benefits of learning the Theravada. Im also trying to understand Zen.. but one at a time.. ill choose theravada first.

so what are the ways of doing daily practice, that works, and If there are many ways to go about daily practice, how can I explore this? And then, share this with my daughters mother?

if we both, or just I achieve this.. ill be a much better person.. Slow to anger.. if i have justifiable anger left at all at the mastery.

Yes, I am requesting that I want to train myself to be a Aharat. Did I spell that right.

What is the righteous path to go about this?
:namaste:
James the Giant

Re: Theravada Question

Post by James the Giant »

Well, the foundation is Morality. So look up the "Five Precepts" and get started on following them. Not too hard.
Then your next priority is learning to meditate. Where do you live? There are usually meditation courses available in most centres, and they needn't be 10 day ones to begin with. It doesn't really matter what tradition of Buddhist meditation you learn to start with, at the beginning level they pretty much all focus on the breath.
You could learn it from a book but that's really rather surprisingly difficult.

Buddhism and meditation isn't a quick fix though. I wouldn't expect anyone to get quick results.
No doubt someone else will give you other advice too.
Best of luck!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Righteous path

Post by Righteous path »

I live in Canton, Ohio

I dont know anything near me to learn to meditate.
I'd love to join up though, that would be a very good thing for us
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Righteous path wrote:Like Kona in the post below. or i should above. i want to embrace Buddhism myself as well. im a fresh newbie too.
in this forum, I asked a little while ago the best way to go about theravada.. or maybe i havent, My mind is going in 1000 directions at 10,000 miles per hour.

I dont have a zen master or any teachers in my area.
My daughters mother and I are trying to achieve peace within us, and learn the Theravada and zen, so that we too, can become masters.. and maybe at both.
i wanted to know some daily practices for a person who cannot got to the Goenka retreat, and wants to work on achieving the nirvana state, and make daily progress in a busy schedule.. I could take a weekend sometime and do a personal two day retreat at my own home.
But, as probably a lot of us, I have a busy schedule, plus Im job hunting right now... and I could really use the inner peace and anticipated prosperity that comes with the benefits of learning the Theravada. Im also trying to understand Zen.. but one at a time.. ill choose theravada first.

so what are the ways of doing daily practice, that works, and If there are many ways to go about daily practice, how can I explore this? And then, share this with my daughters mother?

if we both, or just I achieve this.. ill be a much better person.. Slow to anger.. if i have justifiable anger left at all at the mastery.

Yes, I am requesting that I want to train myself to be a Aharat. Did I spell that right.

What is the righteous path to go about this?
:namaste:
The way to Nibbana is the Noble Eightfold Path. Here is a good work I highly reccomend on it:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... d.html#ch6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In brief, it is the development of morality, meditation, and wisdom.

The two things I would advise you to keep in mind is that it is very important to keep the 5 precepts and to meditate regularly. Without this, you'll just be spinning your wheels, so to speak. The one other thing I would like to mention is that the way to Nibbana is a very gradual path, and so we shouldn't expect to get results overnight. Instead, we must be patient and continue to practice, and gradually, over time, we find ourselves more content, peaceful, and upright people, but you can only make it if you are persistent and are in it for the long haul.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Righteous path wrote:I live in Canton, Ohio

I dont know anything near me to learn to meditate.
I'd love to join up though, that would be a very good thing for us
That's only 20 miles from Akron, right? There are some learn-to-meditate classes there. Have a google and tell us what you find.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Righteous path

Post by Righteous path »

James:

Correct! i am 20 mins from akron, actually my house is exactly 45 mins from akron. but anyhow, some learn to meditate classes. I wonder if they teach Teravada?

Anything in ohio, Except columbus which is nearly 3 hours away.. Doesnt have open minded culture here.
Truthfully, im in the wrong state.
Nevertheless. I can STILL make this work somehow.

Yeah if these learn to meditate classes teach theravada, im interested
Righteous path

Post by Righteous path »

Bakmoon

THANK YOU so much.. I will try these methods
:anjali: