Limited editing time

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Annapurna

Limited editing time

Post by Annapurna »

I have a suggestion.

Now, that my editing function has been taken away from me for a while, due to editing too much in the opinion of some people, I must say I am rather enjoying this experience, as it has been educative for me, to REALLY think about what I want to be out there, black on white, and to stick to what I said.

In the past 3 or 4 days however, I have seen 2 posters here, who either completey deleted their first post, or, who deleted essential parts of it.

I really have to say that's pretty weird for those who replied, but unless the editing time is limited, this will happen again and again and again.

And I don't see why this should be happening again and again and again.

If I can make up my mind, I am sure so can the others.

So, how about limiting the editing time for all?

I think it's fair if someone can edit for an hour. This will give everyone a chance to edit typos.

But any time later, or when someone else has replied, changing content is not such a good thing to do.

Or if an hour is too short, make it a little longer, maximum 12 hours.

This will prevent threads with an empty first post.

I am in two other forums, and the editing time in one of them is 20 minutes, in the other an hour.

People know the deal and learn to work with it, just like I did.

How about it?

Ty,

Annapurna
Cittasanto

Re: Limited editing time

Post by Cittasanto »

Annapurna wrote:I have a suggestion.

Now, that my editing function has been taken away from me for a while, due to editing too much in the opinion of some people, I must say I am rather enjoying this experience, as it has been educative for me, to REALLY think about what I want to be out there, black on white, and to stick to what I said.

In the past 3 or 4 days however, I have seen 2 posters here, who either completey deleted their first post, or, who deleted essential parts of it.

I really have to say that's pretty weird for those who replied, but unless the editing time is limited, this will happen again and again and again.

I think it's fair if someone can edit for an hour. This will give everyone a chance to edit typos.

But any time later, or when someone else has replied, changing content is not such a good thing to do.

I am in two other forums, and the editing time in one of them is 20 minutes, in the other an hour.

How about it?

Ty,

Annapurna
Seams reasonable.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

No. Sometimes I need to edit very old posts to fix broken links. As long as people don't abuse the edit facility, there's no reason to limit it.

If a post has been edited, this is shown in the message footer.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

I agree with Bhikkhu Pesala here.

I think everyone should have unlimited editing capability. Obviously, Anna, you were overusing the privilege and got "dinged". Perhaps you should request for the privilege back and just exercise a bit of restraint in the future?

This is what the moderators are for. If they note someone over-editing or editing for the purposes of "harming" another, that is one thing. But many times I've re-edited and am glad for the ability.

Metta

:anjali:
Sabba rasam dhammaraso jinati
The flavor of the dhamma exceeds all other flavors
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Thank you, Cittasanto! :smile:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:No. Sometimes I need to edit very old posts to fix broken links. As long as people don't abuse the edit facility, there's no reason to limit it.
Bikkhu Pesala, but there is a reason. 2 people deleted their first posts in the last days.

And if you want to fix a broken link, you could simply post a new post /link! :smile:
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

Annapurna wrote:Thank you, Cittasanto! :smile:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:No. Sometimes I need to edit very old posts to fix broken links. As long as people don't abuse the edit facility, there's no reason to limit it.
Bikkhu Pesala, but there is a reason. 2 people deleted their first posts in the last days.

And if you want to fix a broken link, you could simply post a new post /link! :smile:
I'm curious, but wouldn't it be better and more fair for YOU to get your editing privileges back rather than the rest of us get them taken away? Unless I'm completely unaware of it, I don't believe there is a mass rogue editing problem on this forum.

BTW, not trying to argue with you...I want YOU to get your capability back, not the rest of us to all have them taken away, that is all.

Metta

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Sambojjhanga wrote:I agree with Bhikkhu Pesala here.

I think everyone should have unlimited editing capability. Obviously, Anna, you were overusing the privilege and got "dinged". Perhaps you should request for the privilege back and just exercise a bit of restraint in the future?

This is what the moderators are for. If they note someone over-editing or editing for the purposes of "harming" another, that is one thing. But many times I've re-edited and am glad for the ability.

Metta

Obviously, Anna, you were overusing the privilege and got "dinged".
I used it, mostly because English is not my Native tongue and I often had to edit mistakes, that didn't stand out to me before.

But when I saw a mistake, then I wanted to correct it, of course.

Changing a word often leads to a different sentence structure and while you're working on a sentence, naturally new thoughts keep arising, and you start adding other thoughts as well, and might drop others.

It's a process each writer is familiar with.
Perhaps you should request for the privilege back and just exercise a bit of restraint in the future?
No, why should I? This topic is not about me, and I aöready said that don't need the edit function anymore, I am fine without it, - please read my first post, more closely!

I say things exactly as I mean them! :smile:

So, please read again to see what I am aiming at.

Thanks. :anjali:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Sambojjhanga wrote:
Annapurna wrote:Thank you, Cittasanto! :smile:

I'm curious, but wouldn't it be better and more fair for YOU to get your editing privileges back rather than the rest of us get them taken away? Unless I'm completely unaware of it, I don't believe there is a mass rogue editing problem on this forum.

BTW, not trying to argue with you...I want YOU to get your capability back, not the rest of us to all have them taken away, that is all.

Metta

Dear friend, please do read my first post, I think you misunderstood me a little bit!

It's sweet of you that you want to give me the edit function back, but I can do without! (It's not hard... ;) )

What I don't think is so nice for our WHOLE community, is, that some members start a thread, and then, when the answers make them feel uncomfortable, they delete their posts, or crucial parts of them.

It's happened in the last days, maybe you didn't see it...?

I realize my suggestion may sound like a loss to some, and I am fully sympathetic with this, but what else can be done to keep people from deleting posts that other members have already replied to...?

I am open for other suggestions!
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

And PS:

I am not suggesting that we can't edit at all....but perhaps after a day there is an end to it, so that threads don't get destroyed...but if people would be unhappy with it, no problem.

Just a suggestion...
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

Dear Anna,

Thank you for being patient and kind with me! I know this is the Internet and not always "the way".

In fact, the one thing that would change my mind would be abuse of the edit feature. Of course, it would be great if the moderators could catch these, but that's not always possible, especially as the community grows.

In that case, I'd be OK with a reasonable delay time. As you mentioned to Bhante, one can always create a new post if it's a bad link.

I, too, seek a nice balance between personal autonomy and personal responsibility vs. hard rules and regulations. It seems that not all of us are interested in maintaining harmony, so manners, common sense and self-regulation don't always work. I'm not the type of person who has a big ego and always has to "be right" or "get the last word", so my motives are different than those who obviously do.

Again, thanks for making your reasons more clear. You've always struck me as a reasonable individual who also seeks community harmony with personal freedoms.

Metta

Ben

Post by Ben »

With regards to Annapurna's suggestions, we will continue with the status quo for the time being. If anyone abuses the edit post function it will be taken away from them. If anyone has any concerns about another member abusing the function, then please use the report button associated with the post in question and one of the mod staff will look into it.
The fact that we do not announce disciplinary action should not indicate that discipline is arbitrary or at the discretion of mod staff.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
alan...

Post by alan... »

Annapurna wrote:I have a suggestion.

How about it?

Ty,

Annapurna

usually this is transparent as posts are quoted so if someone edits it in a way that changes it drastically later posters will have a record of it so the only person who comes off as weird is the person drastically editing their posts. i like the ability to add, as opposed to editing existing stuff or deleting things. often i get a bunch of replies and then realize most are missing my point due to lack of information on my part and it's nice to be able to create a little addition section. however i try to always write "EDIT:".

the only time i fiddle with a post beyond that is if no one has replied yet and i imagine most follow this protocol. no one wants to be caught making a drastic edit after being quoted. it's not like you can deny your original post once it's clearly quoted two inches below your new edited version.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Sambojjhanga wrote:Dear Anna,

Thank you for being patient and kind with me! I know this is the Internet and not always "the way".

In fact, the one thing that would change my mind would be abuse of the edit feature. Of course, it would be great if the moderators could catch these, but that's not always possible, especially as the community grows.

In that case, I'd be OK with a reasonable delay time. As you mentioned to Bhante, one can always create a new post if it's a bad link.

I, too, seek a nice balance between personal autonomy and personal responsibility vs. hard rules and regulations. It seems that not all of us are interested in maintaining harmony, so manners, common sense and self-regulation don't always work. I'm not the type of person who has a big ego and always has to "be right" or "get the last word", so my motives are different than those who obviously do.

Again, thanks for making your reasons more clear. You've always struck me as a reasonable individual who also seeks community harmony with personal freedoms.

Metta

Oh, thank you so much for kindness! :anjali:

It's nice to get some appreciation once in a while, people so often only voice disagreement, and not when they agree... :smile:

I think the 2 people I watched here were motivated by fear...."how do I appear now", and so forth. Loss of face, so to speak, so that's a fear I am familiar with, I think it is very human...

Thank you and best wishes!

Anna
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Ben wrote:With regards to Annapurna's suggestions, we will continue with the status quo for the time being. If anyone abuses the edit post function it will be taken away from them. If anyone has any concerns about another member abusing the function, then please use the report button associated with the post in question and one of the mod staff will look into it.
The fact that we do not announce disciplinary action should not indicate that discipline is arbitrary or at the discretion of mod staff.
Kind regards,
Ben
That's what I expected, but it also has a drawback:

It brings members into the unpleasant position of having to be a snitch. If I can help it, I'd rather not be, for things that happen out of embarrassment and other all too human fears...

ok, but maybe someone else has less qualms...
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Hi, Alan,

I also like to quote posts for the reasons you mentioned!

Ty!