what benefits can be obtained by meditation?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
cecilia

what benefits can be obtained by meditation?

Post by cecilia »

do you have any meditation experience before?
m0rl0ck

Re: what benefits can be obtained by meditation?

Post by m0rl0ck »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/search/?keyword=meditation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are people on the board who probably have decades of experience with meditation.

Welcome :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

cecilia wrote:what benefits can be obtained by meditation?
The two benefits that most often come up in Buddhist scripture are the cultivation of tranquillity (Samatha) and insight (Vipassana).
do you have any meditation experience before?
Yes, and I find it to be very beneficial. There are several approaches. The most popular in the West is mindfulness of breath (Anapanasati). I prefer meditating on the four foundations of mindfulness (Satipatthana), and contemplating the elements (Dhātuvibhanga). If you're new to meditation I'd suggest starting with Anapanasati.
Last edited by mettafuture on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I have been meditating since about 1984, and my advice is to find out for yourself. Just have a go, under the guidance of a reputable teacher. Different people report different benefits, and the language used to describe any benefits tends to be imprecise and gives rise to lots of thinking and arguing, which is why I don't think it is all that helpful to say what benefits you ought to expect. But try it, and good luck!