Something that will be common around anyone

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
123ertyy

Something that will be common around anyone

Post by 123ertyy »

Hey, I was a regular mediator and had to give up because of life issues. Im not sure that i have done my meditation well but i know i tried hard in my younger days... Im still 23 anyway,

My question is when you meditate anapanasathi u think about the collision of the air on your nose tip right? I have been doing this but what should my mind picture of when im intending to keep up with the air collision on my nose tip? i always picture my nose tip, my mind automatically pictures a nose, i dont know how to overcome this picture.
What is the normal way of treating this issue? what does the scripts say on what your mind should picture of?

I need help asap, because i know my mind is acting as a little monkey on the tree. i need to add something more to my life.
We die someday.
Ben

Re: Something that will be common around anyone

Post by Ben »

Picture nothing.
Just observe the sensation of the air touching as it goes in and as it goes out.
That's all you need to do.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Yana

Post by Yana »

Hi 123ertyy,

I sometimes get mental images in the mind,of a gate around my nostrils.And airs flowing in and out that spot/post.I don't think it's a problem to picture your nose during meditation.If that's what you need to establish concentration.It naturally changes to just pure awareness of breathing when your concentration develops.Then for some reason that image just drops on its own.Then when you sit you can automatically sense and stay with the breath.

The mental images,It's kind of like Counting and Repeating the word Buddho in your mind.It's there to help you get started.

I even use a mental image if my concentrations really weak,i imagine the air were a sharp object scraping my nostrils.Or sewing my nostrils.And that quickly sharpens my concentration.Then when my concentration is balanced and steady, i drop it.

Hope this helps.

:anjali:
Life is preparing for Death
123ertyy

Post by 123ertyy »

Thanks ben for the reply.

So nothing in the sense black? any color? object? Im sorry im struggling my way in :S

I also get really fast moving random thoughts. in a faded manner. is it a good method to look into an object and think about collision on the tip of the nose?

I really appreciate your time, Thank you.
We die someday.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Just keep your attention on the sensation of the breath going in and out for as long a period as possible without a break in concentration.
There will be background thoughts going on. Just try not to take any notice.
This is mind training to develop samadhi. Its difficult not just for you but for everyone who does it.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

123ertyy

Post by 123ertyy »

Ben wrote:Just keep your attention on the sensation of the breath going in and out for as long a period as possible without a break in concentration.
There will be background thoughts going on. Just try not to take any notice.
This is mind training to develop samadhi. Its difficult not just for you but for everyone who does it.
Thanks again. I think i got what i want. thanks for your responses!
We die someday.
Ben

Post by Ben »

No worries, my friend!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

123ertyy

Post by 123ertyy »

Hey Yana,

That seems to be coming out of your experiences straight out. thanks for that. you all have made my day. now to go work work work :) Hope you dont mind me asking any further questions! :guns:
We die someday.