Greetings from ricebowl

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
ricebowl

Greetings from ricebowl

Post by ricebowl »

Dear Dhammawheel brothers and sisters,

My name is Lin Rongxiang from Singapore, a male thirty one years of age, and I began my spiritual interests sometime back in 2003 when I was in university. My supervisor at a local telco that I worked for lent me a theravadin book by Ajahn Brahm called Opening the Doors of Your Heart -- I became delighted and proceeded to procure a personal copy from a local bookstore, and that was when I began listening to his dharma talks, and practising a variety of meditation techniques.

It was a bit ironic when despite all my interests in the Theravadin lineage, as well as Thai Forest monks, the Mahayana which is strongly rooted in Asian beliefs came first, and I ended up taking Triple Gem refuge this year with a Tibetan lineage with the dharma name Jayan Tashi. Between 2003 to 2012 which is almost a decade, I have been following a variety of Buddhist organisations and teachers, and found spiritual endeavour boring actually by now.

You see at the back of my mind, there are still a variety of yesteryear undertakings, and perhaps vows even, that are sitting on the mental shelves collecting dust, and it gets confusing at a point when I decided to just drop by Dhamma Wheel for a chat and keep in touch.

What will make me smile? I find myself trapped in an island economy and society that works perfectly running around in circles ~ one moment the government and parents need me to get a job, next moment procreation matters were at the tip of my fingers ~ while my original motivations back in 2003 when I began practising and learning about Buddhism was the youthful aspiration that was full of ideals and romances the young boy still flows within me as I settle down for some moments of insight yet the highest goals like jhanas, arahantships, nibbana or buddhahood mean almost the same thing as salaries, graduates, marriage and parenthood to me -- and I have totally no clue what those boddhisattvas and employers are teaching me (maybe not entirely clueless, still.. :guns: )

Before I found dhammawheel I originally wanted to setup a dharmacrossing website that replaces the original e-sangha and I guess what I have now in front of me is what I need and what I need is what I have too.. I also wanted to setup a greencrossing website that encourages environmental consciousness especially in the area of Infocomm technology and there and then I found Bodhilinux (link) and I guess thank you for fulfilling my aspirations in part
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Greetings from ricebowl

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay!
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Selamat Datang :hello:
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

Welcome from a member on the left coast of the United States.

Metta

:anjali:
Sabba rasam dhammaraso jinati
The flavor of the dhamma exceeds all other flavors
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Welcome ricebowl,

:hello:

:anjali:
Mike
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome ricebowl! :group: (Many of us have also initially practised in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.)

with metta
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings ricebowl and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
somkeit

Post by somkeit »

Welcome my friend. welcome. :anjali: :buddha1:
ricebowl

Post by ricebowl »

appreciate it
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
:buddha1:
Still Searching

Post by Still Searching »

Greetings Lin/ricebowl,

it is very nice to meet :smile:
Hope you enjoy your stay here on Dhamma Wheel, Buddhist environments have no judgement, everyone is welcome as long as they are nice which I am very sure you are :smile:

:namaste:
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha
ricebowl

Post by ricebowl »

Still Searching wrote:Greetings Lin/ricebowl,

it is very nice to meet :smile:
Hope you enjoy your stay here on Dhamma Wheel, Buddhist environments have no judgement, everyone is welcome as long as they are nice which I am very sure you are :smile:

:namaste:
I wish to express my anger and angst with the many family members whom I am living with, am putting up with, yet who ironically saw and watched me grow up.

I see dukkha in them, I see dukkha in myself, and within all their unskilfulness I see mine each day too.

When the goal set to me was liberation, enlightenment, or emancipation there was something to aim for. However when the goal set these days is dukkha on a daily basis, with little opportunity for sitting, I am quite nice when I am asleep most of the time and I would be glad to say so too.

/\ many regrets and thanks for the afflictions i face

sadhu. sadhu.

sadhu.
ricebowl
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Welcome Lin Rongxiang!
ricebowl

Post by ricebowl »

waimengwan wrote:Welcome Lin Rongxiang!