i am practicing satipatthana, where does jhana fit?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
alan...

Re: i am practicing satipatthana, where does jhana fit?

Post by alan... »

Bakmoon wrote:
Bakmoon wrote:
James the Giant wrote:

Oh no now it's all getting mixed up with Vipassana Jhanas, which are totally different from Samatha Jhanas, which is what people are usually talking about when they mention jhana.

What historiScal bhikkhu started using the term Vipassana Jhana in the first place? Should have stuck with Stages Of Insight or something less easily confused.
I don't think they are that different. I think that they have all the same factors as each other, the only difference being Vipassana Jhana has one of the four Satipatthana as its object and Samatha Jhana has something else as its object.

I think there are some clear examples of Vipassana Jhana even in the Suttas themselves.Take a look at MN 111 for example.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In it, the Ven. Sariputta goes through the Jhanas and analyses their Jhana factors and sees them as impermanent. That sounds like Vipassana Jhana to me. In fact, I am of the opinion that many if not most of the teachers who teach Jhana these days are also teaching Vipassana Jhana because they base it on the Satipatthana.

Yes. By practicing satipatthana, if you enter the Jhanas, you will be entering the Vipassana Jhanas. If your meditation object is something else, you will either not enter Jhana at all, or enter into the Samatha Jhanas. The only significant difference in terms of result is that the Vipassana Jhanas develop both Samatha and Vipassana, whereas the Samatha Jhanas by themselves only Develop Samatha.
wow, my mind has been blown. thanks.
tsurezuregusa

Post by tsurezuregusa »

Hello,
Bakmoon wrote:
James the Giant wrote:What historical bhikkhu started using the term Vipassana Jhana in the first place?
U Pandita was the first to coin the term Vipassana Jhana, but I believe that the concept exists under the name lakkhaṇūpanijjhāna (I think that translates to Jhana based on the characteristics but I'm no Pali scholar) in the commentaries.
Sayadaw U Pandita's teacher, the Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw, already used this term and says it derived from lakkhaṇūpanijjhāna. In 1962, Mahasi Sayadaw gave a discourse on the Wheel of Dhamma in which he mentions two types of jhana: samatha jhana and vipassana jhana. The latter is explained by him as "contemplating on the three characteristics constitute vipassana jhana".

Kind regards,
Florian
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Discussion on Vipassana in Jhana spit to here: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p222451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

mikenz66 wrote:Discussion on Vipassana in Jhana spit to here: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p222451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
Thank you. I thought that would make things cleaner and easier to find.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.