Questions about Buddhist Priests aka "monks"

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Still Searching

Questions about Buddhist Priests aka "monks"

Post by Still Searching »

1. Male monks cannot touch women or women monks (Buddhist nuns) cannot touch men. If a man or woman was in danger, can they be allowed to perform CPR? If a monk's mother came to the monastery to visit & missed them, can they hug? If a monk's friend was depressed, can they hug them out of comfort?

2. If a monk suffers from illnesses like allergies, asthma, arthritis or anything else, does the monastery provide or assist medication or are they against it?

3. If a group of monks are traveling and have no food or water and but a farm nearby, would they make an exception for food from the farmer despite it possibly being milk, eggs or meat?

4. If someone just recently converted to Buddhism and wanted to become a monk but had already lost their virginity in the past but promises to stay pure for the rest of their life, will they still be accepted by the monastery despite these conditions?
Last edited by Still Searching on Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Questions about Buddhist Priest aka "monks"

Post by DNS »

Still Searching wrote:1. Male monks cannot touch women or women monks (Buddhist nuns) cannot touch men. If a man or woman was in danger, can they be allowed to perform CPR? If a monk's mother came to the monastery to visit & missed them, can they hug? If a monk's friend was depressed, can they hug them out of comfort?
Giving CPR would be out of compassion, so I am pretty sure would be okay. But the other touching is for affection and not normally done.
2. If a monk suffers from illnesses like allergies, asthma, arthritis or anything else, does the monastery provide or assist medication or are they against it?
Medicine is okay to take, for both lay and monastics.
3. If a group of monks are traveling and have no food or water and but a farm nearby, would they make an exception for food from the farmer despite it possibly being milk, eggs or meat?
Not all Buddhists are vegetarian. Monks eat whatever is offered to them.
4. If someone just recently converted to Buddhism and wanted to become a monk but had already lost their virginity in the past but promises to stay pure for the rest of their life, will they still be accepted by the monastery despite these conditions?
Yes. Many monks were married and even had children, including the Buddha before becoming a monk.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Still Searching wrote:1. Male monks cannot touch women or women monks (Buddhist nuns) cannot touch men. If a man or woman was in danger, can they be allowed to perform CPR? If a monk's mother came to the monastery to visit & missed them, can they hug? If a monk's friend was depressed, can they hug them out of comfort?
they can not touch with a lustful mind, this does not mean they can not touch at all. however they are advised not to within the rule.
medical needs are allowed and it is upto the individual monastic what treatment they have. monasteries would in general pay for any expense. however this may also be covered by a lay supporter of the monk.
They eat whatever is offered. there are a few exceptions but in general they are offered it at the right time/situation they can make use of it.
monks are not necessarily virgins.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Still Searching

5. Both monks & lay Buddhists are forbidden from lying. But what if someone was being chased by dangerous people who wanted to hurt them and the monk decided to help hide the person from danger for their safety. Of course they should call the police, but whilst waiting for the police, if those evil, violent thugs asked for the person's whereabouts, is it okay to lie and say "I don't know where they went, I think they went that way" and point in the opposite direction? Or would that still be wrong?

6. Killing is wrong on all levels murder is still murder. If someone innocent was about to be killed by a thug and a monk was nearby and spotted a gun on the floor. Would it be okay to shoot the bad guy so the leg or something so the good person can break free?
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Still Searching wrote:5. Both monks & lay Buddhists are forbidden from lying. But what if someone was being chased by dangerous people who wanted to hurt them and the monk decided to help hide the person from danger for their safety. Of course they should call the police, but whilst waiting for the police, if those evil, violent thugs asked for the person's whereabouts, is it okay to lie and say "I don't know where they went, I think they went that way" and point in the opposite direction? Or would that still be wrong?
Why wouldn't he just say, "I don't want to tell you" or "Go away?"
6. Killing is wrong on all levels murder is still murder. If someone innocent was about to be killed by a thug and a monk was nearby and spotted a gun on the floor. Would it be okay to shoot the bad guy so the leg or something so the good person can break free?
Monks are allowed to use force in order to save their lives or the lives of others, but they can never attempt to kill anyone. So they could try and injure the assailant just enough to escape, but attempting to kill them would be a huge breach of their vows.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Still Searching

A mild injury is good at least.
I honestly don't like violence at all.
I apologize if my questions offend anyone on here, I'm just curious about the answers.

The first answer is a good point.
They definitely could just ask them to clear off or just warn them that the police will be coming.

Thank you for your answers.
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Still Searching wrote: I apologize if my questions offend anyone on here, I'm just curious about the answers.
Your questions are excellent, and nobody is offended by them. Buddhism isn't one of those religions where you are discouraged from questioning things, like I was in my church as a kid.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

James the Giant wrote:
Still Searching wrote: I apologize if my questions offend anyone on here, I'm just curious about the answers.
Your questions are excellent, and nobody is offended by them. Buddhism isn't one of those religions where you are discouraged from questioning things, like I was in my church as a kid.
:twothumbsup:
Do ask other things

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

i really enjoyed your questions.
reminds me of the time when i first started learning about buddhism.
it may be very confusing in the beginning.
but if you continue to read, it will become clear as you learn more.
hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

there is a good collection here if you wish to read.
http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebidx.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i will recommend 'good questions, good answers' by dhammika.
cheers.
Still Searching

Thank you everyone :smile:
I was really interested by your answers as well :smile:

I really do enjoy studying and learning from the Monk lifestyle as well as general Buddhism.
It really does interest me a lot.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

There are members here with various amounts of understanding and learning of the monastic life & precepts so ask away.
Still Searching wrote:Thank you everyone :smile:
I was really interested by your answers as well :smile:

I really do enjoy studying and learning from the Monk lifestyle as well as general Buddhism.
It really does interest me a lot.

John Stuart Mill