pali chanting: is it memorized, or are there rules/patterns?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
jango

pali chanting: is it memorized, or are there rules/patterns?

Post by jango »

Hi,

I've just came back from a trip to a Buddhist monastery, which I enjoyed very much.

For the morning and evening chanting prior to the meditation session, the advice of the monk to people unfamiliar with chanting in Pali was simple: "fake it until you make it". This worked quite well, and after a few days I sort of memorized the stress patterns for some of the simpler chants.

However, I would like to know whether chanting in Pali follows any sets of principles, in regards to stresses and pronouncing some of the syllabus longer/shorter, or is it all memorized by people in the course of practicing?

Thank you.
Last edited by jango on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACK and you shall receive.
mikenz66

Re: pali chanting: is it memorized, or are there rules/patterns?

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Jango,

There is a discussion of how to scan Pali at the start of this document:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... nting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike
jango

Post by jango »

This explains a lot! Thank you, Mike.
ACK and you shall receive.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

You will find that there are variations, often due to the first language of the particular group [Thai, Sinhalese, Burmese, etc...]. That document is, obviously, based on Thai conventions. I'm most familiar with Thai-derived chanting, and even then there are some variations. It's quite noticeable to me that the Western Ajahn Chah groups chant with a slightly different rhythmic sense from the Thai monks I am more familiar with [the AC groups sound more measured and less "bouncy"]. The key think with chanting is that it's a collaborative effort, so one needs to adapt to the local situation.

:anjali:
Mike
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

While I like the solemn chants, on occassion, I do find the more "bouncy" chants done at huge Thai ceremonies very nice too.
Samatha

Post by Samatha »

There are some notes at the back of the chanting book available at http://www.samatha.org/texts/samatha-bu ... tion-texts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which you may find helpful - feel free to get back to me ([email protected]) if you have any further queries.