vipassana craziness

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Monkey Mind

Re: vipassana craziness

Post by Monkey Mind »

Mr Man wrote:Tilt, Anapanna is not bringing the gross level impurities to the surface. I think that that is a misrepresentation of what is happening.
You seem really fixated on that quote from the OP, so I'll just offer that I don't think that statement is consistent with how Mr. Goenka teaches. I don't know if the OP is mistaken, or received a convoluted message from an assistant teacher. The "technique" is pretty straight forward, but during the retreats there is a lot of information presented in the Dhamma talks. I think it is easy for someone (myself included) to misunderstand the point of the information presented during the talks.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
nibbuti

Post by nibbuti »

seahorse wrote:Nibbuti, that's wise advice indeed. I have most of that in check but could certainly do with dropping the caffeine and certain foods. I will begin a conscious detox as of today, thanks.
Hi seahorse

You're welcome. Also, Venerable Dhammavuddho explains some "vipassana craziness" here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE6UOQfAafE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Monkey Mind, thank you for the comment, I don't mean to be fixated but some times it is easy. If it is inconsistent with how Mr. Goenka teaches that is certainly relevant.

I have experience of the U Ba Khin tradition through doing retreats with Mother Sayama / Saya U Chit Tin but that is going back some 30 years now so possibly some of my perceptions have been weathered by time and possibly some things have changed.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Mr Man wrote:I have experience of the U Ba Khin tradition through doing retreats with Mother Sayama / Saya U Chit Tin but that is going back some 30 years now so possibly some of my perceptions have been weathered by time and possibly some things have changed.
As a matter of interest, where was that retreat held?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Ben wrote:
Mr Man wrote:I have experience of the U Ba Khin tradition through doing retreats with Mother Sayama / Saya U Chit Tin but that is going back some 30 years now so possibly some of my perceptions have been weathered by time and possibly some things have changed.
As a matter of interest, where was that retreat held?
They were held at Splatts House in the UK.