Visiting Wat Pah Nanachat

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
oceanbox

Visiting Wat Pah Nanachat

Post by oceanbox »

Hello. I hope I am not creating a post which already exists but I cannot find a recent post for this :anjali:

At the present I am travelling in Asia for a while and during this I am hoping to stay at some monasteries to gain insights into how they live and their way of practice.

Two places which I especially would like to go are Wat Pah Nanachat and also Wat Pa Ban Tat. Reading the information online for Wat Pah Nanachat it asks that a letter be sent to the guest monk ahead of any stay. The problem I have with this I don't have an address to receive a response as I reside in hotels for at maximum two weeks at a time and I have seen in other posts how it can take up to two months for the reply to be received also with it being quite a way to travel I would be uneasy about just arriving in the hope that it would be okay in case they are busy. If anyone has any ideas how I could get around this problem I would very much like to hear. I have thought of perhaps purchasing a virtual mailing address in Bangkok although they seem quite expensive per month.

I have some free time beginning in January so its from this time on wards I am looking to do this and I was not sure if this is a bad time of year. Any advice about visiting those two places I would very much appreciate

Thanks greatly

:anjali:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Visiting Wat Pah Nanachat

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I would suggest writing to them saying what dates you intend to visit, stating whether you are a man or a woman, and explaining that you won't be able to receive any reply. Then just turn up as planned, and hope they can find you somewhere to stay. What's the worst that could happen? A mosquito net and a mat in the store room?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

...just turn up as planned...
+1
oceanbox

Post by oceanbox »

Okay I will give this a go.

Are there times of year that are not appropriate to go to Thai Monasteries?

Thanks for the assistance
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Usually the 'Rains' or Vasa (normally July to September) it is frowned upon...suggesting avoiding those months, but checking the Buddhist calendar for specific dates...otherwise it's a go...
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Be aware you'll have to shave your head and eyebrows after staying there three days. It helps winnow out the less serious.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
oceanbox

Post by oceanbox »

Thanks, I don't mind the change of hair too much.

In regards to Wat Pa Baan Taad. There does not seem to be as much information online. I have read that there is a monk of German origin named Ajahn Martin (Forgive me if thats incorrect) who can speak English. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

:anjali:
karunametta

Post by karunametta »

you may also want to avoid the week in January when WPN and WPP celebrate Ajahn chah remembrance day(/week). I believe there will be no availability for staying for guests that week.
Seeeker

Post by Seeeker »

Ven Appicchato is correct :anjali:

In June 2012, I asked the guest monk at WPN and he said just show up, except the busy time in January. However there are many inexpensive places to stay in Ubon and just get the big truck bus in the morning.

Hope it helps :smile:

With lots of metta :smile: