SN 47.6: Sakunagghi Sutta — The Hawk

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
mikenz66

Re: SN 47.6: Sakunagghi Sutta — The Hawk

Post by mikenz66 »

Some of Bhikkhu Bodhi's comments.

“Bhikkhus, once in the past a hawk suddenly swooped down and seized a quail.
  • BB: The parable of the hawk and the quail is also related in the Sakuṇagghi Jātaka (No. 168; Jā II 58-59), with the Bodhisatta as the quail and Devadatta as the hawk. For additional references, see KS 5:125, n. 1. Though sakuṇagghi is a feminine, this need not imply the hawk is female.
“Then the hawk, confident of her own strength, not boasting of her own strength[*] released the quail, saying: ‘Go now, quail, but even there you won’t escape me.’[/i]
  • * BB: [Some technical discussion about the translation...] Spk explains it as though it were not a negation: “boasting: speaking fully, thoroughly praising her own strength.”
“Therefore, bhikkhus, do not stray outside your own resort into the domain of others. Māra will gain access to those who stray outside their own resort into the domain of others; Māra will get a hold on them.
  • BB: Comare SN 35.243 http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • "And how is one soggy ["corrupted" in Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation]? There is the case where a monk, when seeing a form via the eye, is, in the case of pleasing forms, committed to forms and, in the case of displeasing forms, afflicted by forms. He remains with body-mindfulness not present, and with limited awareness. And he does not discern, as it actually is present, the awareness-release & discernment-release where those evil, unskillful qualities that have arisen cease without trace.
      "This is called a monk who is soggy with [corrupted amidst] forms cognizable via the eye,
      "When a monk dwells in this way, then if Mara comes to him via the eye, Mara gains entry, Mara gains a foothold [gains access to him, gets a hold on him].
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Isn't seeing the hawk as a simile for Mara asking us to use a simile for a simile?

No real hawk, and no real Mara.

Either or both can remind us of what we have to do, though.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Sam Vara wrote:Isn't seeing the hawk as a simile for Mara asking us to use a simile for a simile?

No real hawk, and no real Mara.

Either or both can remind us of what we have to do, though.
It's a good point; often I see people trying to develop similes for nibbana, when it's already a simile. Same beat here, it would seem.

I do see the hawk as arrogant, rather than compassionate; the quail gives me more of a Br'er Rabbit feeling than anything else:
"Then the quail, having gone to a newly plowed field with clumps of earth all turned up and climbing up on top of a large clump of earth, stood taunting the hawk, 'Now come and get me, you hawk! Now come and get me, you hawk!'
Then Brer Fox heard someone calling his name. He turned around and looked up the hill. Brer Rabbit was sitting on a log combing the tar out of his fur with a wood chip and looking smug.

"I was bred and born in the briar patch, Brer Fox," he called. "Born and bred in the briar patch."

And Brer Rabbit skipped away as merry as a cricket while Brer Fox ground his teeth in rage and went home.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
alan

Post by alan »

Always thought of this sutta as something more along the lines of something that would be told to children. The moralism is obvious but it doesn't seem to fit in with others from SN.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

From Ven. Nanananda's note mikenz66 provided above:
[76] The Four Foundations of Mindfulness form the ground-plan for the development of the 'Knowledge and Vision of things as they are.' Within its range, awareness is focused directly on experience as such, reducing the tendency towards diffusion and proliferation in thought-currents. This insulation stems the tide of influxes which entices one into the 'others' territory' — the five-fold sense-pleasure.
This sutta belongs to the Satipatthana-samyutta (chapter on the Foundations of Mindfulness), part of the Maha-Vagga (Great section). The message is clear and simple, but it's extremely important for it's really is the ground-plan for any further development on the path. Thank you mikenz66.. :anjali: