Humor and the Dhamma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Paribbajaka

Humor and the Dhamma

Post by Paribbajaka »

Hello everyone!

I was watching this video by Bhante Yuttadhammo http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Emw57HsFCDQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and was a little surprised by his answer.

I understand the view that humor might distract someone from their dukkha, but in my experience I have seen many teachers use humor: Bhikkhu Bodhi has a great sense of humor in his talks whenever I have the opportunity to see or hear him, my own primary teacher Ajahn Bounlieng is nearly always laughing, and the suttas sometimes even indicate a dry wit the Buddha had. What are people's thoughts? At least in my experience a little humor nearly always adds a personal feel to the teachings. Thank you for your help!
May all beings be happy!
Buckwheat

Re: Humor and the Dhamma

Post by Buckwheat »

Categorizing humor as skillful or unskillful seems beside the point. Shouldn't we really be examining the intentions behind the joke? Are we clinging to pleasure? Are we trying to cope with dukkha? Are we trying to use the power of emotional response to make a dhamma point stick?
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 9007&p9007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

In MN 78 The Buddha used some humor--perhaps sarcastically, to make a point.
Paribbajaka

Post by Paribbajaka »

by tiltbillings » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:18 am
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=737&p=9007&p9007
Well, that about settles it.
May all beings be happy!
alan

Post by alan »

Not for me.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

When you feel free you laught a lot, and about everything.

It's like jump from airplain.
In the begining you are afraid. But if you take a time to find that beyond your back there is parachute, this experiance of jumping become plesant, beyond fear. :rofl:

When your morality is pure, you feel your self very light, and this lightly feeling make smile arise on your face. :smile: There is no any enemy for you, no any attachement.

When attached beings are sad, freed beings are happy.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Not for me.
That's nice, but it does not tell us anything about what you hold as being not settled. In other words, it does not further discussion at all.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Ben

Post by Ben »

I think I'll stick to being a humourless and cranky bastard.
Its so much more fun.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Ben wrote:I think I'll stick to being a humourless and cranky bastard.
Its so much more fun.
If you stick to it long enough you can be a humourless and cranky old bastard.
That's even more fun. :tongue:

:popcorn:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

That's right, Kim.
To most of my fellow-members here, I already am a cranky old bastard.
I do it so well its almost a comedy act in its own right.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Ben wrote:I think I'll stick to being a humourless and cranky bastard.
Its so much more fun.
If you stick to it long enough you can be a humourless and cranky old bastard.
That's even more fun.
Like Senator McCain:

Except when he is not being a piss-ant, he can be rather funny.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Ahem ...
getting back to topic ...
A sense of humour is a sense of proportion.
~ Gibran
One of the reasons we should value humour is that it cuts the ground from under pretentiousness and helps us to see the truth about people and their words - an 'emperor's new clothes' effect.

:namaste:
Kim
tattoogunman

Post by tattoogunman »

Kim O'Hara wrote:Ahem ...
getting back to topic ...
A sense of humour is a sense of proportion.
~ Gibran
One of the reasons we should value humour is that it cuts the ground from under pretentiousness and helps us to see the truth about people and their words - an 'emperor's new clothes' effect.

:namaste:
Kim
I'm in the very beginning phases of Buddhism and have been trying to absorb everything that I can. I've found two particular podcasts on iTunes that inject humor (one significantly more than the other) and levity in order to get the material/teachings across. If it works and helps bring someone towards Buddhism, I don't see the problem. I see no problem with modifying or altering someone's teaching method based on their audience :meditate:
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

There's a sutta where a monk(or was it a nun) pokes fun at a Brahmin for bathing in the river Ganges.
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "