Are Buddhist monks/nuns allowed to use the internet?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
pascal

Are Buddhist monks/nuns allowed to use the internet?

Post by pascal »

Hi,

does anyone of you know to which extent Buddhist monks and nuns are allowed to use the internet? I've seen some blogs by monks, so I think they have at least restricted access to it? Or does it depend on the monastery? I'm using the internet mainly to communicate with friends and to discuss science and philosophy with others, and I'd like to know if I would have to give that up completely when becoming a monk -- the latter is something I consider, even though I haven't made a decision yet. (But it's not that my decision depends on whether I can use the internet in a monastery or not; that would be silly. :))

Also, to which extent can monks and nuns use a computer in general? (There are many monks, including the Dalai Lama, who write books about Buddhism, and I guess they use a computer for that?)

Kind regards,
pascal

PS: If I decide to post here more often, I'll introduce myself in the introduction section.
Monkey Mind

Re: Are Buddhist monks/nuns allowed to use the internet?

Post by Monkey Mind »

Depends on the tradition and the monastery. There are some monastics who teach via Facebook, blogs, and YouTube, and are very responsive to emails. I know about one monastery where all the monks share the same email address and limit their time on the computer to an hour a week. And everything in between.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
pascal

Post by pascal »

Interesting, thanks for your response.
dude

Post by dude »

Yes, it depends on the monastery. Ask questions. Then ask yourself if this training is right for you. If you have any doubts, think about it some more. Keep asking questions, and also look into whatever other options may present themselves. When the student is ready, the [right] teacher appears.
nem

Post by nem »

Here's a very good way that a monk uses the internet.

http://pittsburghbuddhistcenter.org/ask ... ource=date