Critique of "jhana among Western converts"

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
KevinSolway

the Solway rebirth "debate"

Post by KevinSolway »

Moderator Note. These posts have been split from the "Great Rebirth Debate" thread.
The following comments refer to:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 80#p216271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SamKR wrote:countless past lives
Is this something you personally know to be true, through direct personal experience, and therefore have absolute certainty?

Or is this something you have heard from others, or interpreted from books?
Last edited by KevinSolway on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
SamKR

Re: the great rebirth debate

Post by SamKR »

KevinSolway wrote:
SamKR wrote:countless past lives
Is this something you personally know to be true, through direct personal experience, and therefore have absolute certainty?

Or is this something you have heard from others, or interpreted from books?
No, it's not I personally know to be true through direct experience, and I don't have absolute certainty.
Neither it is interpreted from books. This belief is mainly due to strong intuition that makes me automatically believe in rebirth, and also because I believe the Buddha did not speak false.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I think there's something more important than accepting rebirth on faith. Rebirth and kamma would be non-existent in the Buddha's teaching if he had not had direct experiences confirming their reality. It is only through the attainment of the fourth jhana when the mind has been "thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability" that one can direct the mind to the recollection of past lives and to the passing away and re-arising of beings according to their kamma and it is by means of what would be called extra-sensory perception in modern terms. Thus, one must accept that ESP is at least possible and that the specific ESP's of retrocognition and clairvoyance were attained by the Buddha in the first and second watches of the night. So for me personally, I want to verify these teachings and if I ever ordain it would be with the intent of gaining the three knowledges not just the third. Without ESP though, rebirth and kamma are just metaphysical speculations and views.

EDIT: Obviously, you have to invest a great deal of confidence in the Buddha if you are willing to try to confirm the dhamma for yourself.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
KevinSolway

Post by KevinSolway »

SamKR wrote:It's not [that] I personally know [it] to be true through direct experience, and I don't have absolute certainty.

Neither it is interpreted from books.
You can't read words that are attributed to the Buddha without interpreting from books.

This belief is mainly due to strong intuition
Ok, so that's guesswork. My intuition, and reason, along with my interpretation of the scriptures, tells me that the regular belief in rebirth is mistaken.
Ben

Post by Ben »

KevinSolway wrote:
SamKR wrote:It's not [that] I personally know [it] to be true through direct experience, and I don't have absolute certainty.

Neither it is interpreted from books.
You can't read words that are attributed to the Buddha without interpreting from books.

This belief is mainly due to strong intuition
Ok, so that's guesswork. My intuition, and reason, along with my interpretation of the scriptures, tells me that the regular belief in rebirth is mistaken.
Equally guesswork.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Water evaporation can be considering like reberth ?
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
KevinSolway

Post by KevinSolway »

Ben wrote:
KevinSolway wrote:My intuition, and reason, along with my interpretation of the scriptures, tells me that the regular belief in rebirth is mistaken.
Equally guesswork.
Can you explain why you think that reasoning is the same as guesswork?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

DAWN wrote:Water evaporation can be considering like reberth ?
Letting go of concepts can be considered to be like reb i rth ! :)

DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Aloka wrote:

Or non-rebirth :)
Thanks
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

DAWN wrote:
Aloka wrote:

Or non-rebirth :)
Thanks
I meant like psychological rebirth into a peaceful mental state.

:alien:
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Aloka wrote:
I meant like psychological rebirth into a peaceful mental state.

:alien:
Oh yes ! i see.. :mrgreen: :embarassed:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

... People don't see the danger. This is really amazing, isn't it? You'd think they could see it but they can't. If they can't see it even then, then there's no way they can get out. They're determined to whirl around in samsāra. This is how things are. Just talking about simple things like this we can begin to understand.
If you were to ask them, ''Why were you born?'' they'd probably have a lot of trouble answering, because they can't see it. They're sunk in the world of the senses and sunk in becoming (bhava). Bhava is the sphere of birth, our birthplace. To put it simply, where are beings born from? Bhava is the preliminary condition for birth. Wherever birth takes place, that's bhava.
For example, suppose we had an orchard of apple trees that we were particularly fond of. That's a bhava for us if we don't reflect with wisdom. How so? Suppose our orchard contained a hundred or a thousand apple trees... it doesn't really matter what kind of trees they are, just so long as we consider them to be ''our own'' trees... then we are going to be ''born'' as a ''worm'' in every single one of those trees. We bore into every one, even though our human body is still back there in the house, we send out ''tentacles'' into every one of those trees.
Now, how do we know that it's a bhava? It's a bhava (sphere of existence) because of our clinging to the idea that those trees are our own, that that orchard is our own. If someone were to take an ax and cut one of the trees down, the owner over there in the house ''dies'' along with the tree. He gets furious, and has to go and set things right, to fight and maybe even kill over it. That quarreling is the ''birth.'' The ''sphere of birth'' is the orchard of trees that we cling to as our own. We are ''born'' right at the point where we consider them to be our own, born from that bhava. Even if we had a thousand apple trees, if someone were to cut down just one it'd be like cutting the owner down.
Whatever we cling to we are born right there, we exist right there. We are born as soon as we ''know.'' This is knowing through not-knowing: we know that someone has cut down one of our trees. But we don't know that those trees are not really ours. This is called ''knowing through not-knowing.'' We are bound to be born into that bhava.
Vatta, the wheel of conditioned existence, operates like this. People cling to bhava, they depend on bhava. If they cherish bhava, this is birth. And if they fall into suffering over that same thing, this is also a birth. As long as we can't let go we are stuck in the rut of samsāra, spinning around like a wheel. Look into this, contemplate it. Whatever we cling to as being us or ours, that is a place for birth.
There must be a bhava, a sphere of birth, before birth can take place. Therefore the Buddha said, whatever you have, don't ''have'' it. Let it be there but don't make it yours. You must understand this ''having'' and ''not having,'' know the truth of them, don't flounder in suffering.

- Ajahn Chah

http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Flood_Sensuality1.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
KevinSolway

Post by KevinSolway »

Ajahn Chah wrote:If you were to ask them, ''Why were you born?'' they'd probably have a lot of trouble answering
I don't think they would at all.

All things happen because they are caused to happen. This isn't difficult to understand.

It's impossible for anyone to know all the exact details of how things are caused, but we can be certain that all things are caused.

. . . they can't see it."
The reason they can't see that ignorance (or bhavas) causes all births is that it isn't true.

Ignorance causes some births, but not all.

Of course, you could define "birth" as being caused by ignorance, but that would be to destroy the meaning of the word "birth", unless one specifies that one is using the word "birth" in a narrow and highly specialized way - a way in which people do not use the word, and is not found in any dictionary.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

Thanks you Bhante :anjali: :bow:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
KevinSolway

Post by KevinSolway »

Here are my major objections to Thanissaro Bhikkhu's so-called "Truth of Rebirth" (2012)

1. The first major problem with Thanissaro's work is the length of it. If Thanissaro understood the subject then he would have been able to explain it perfectly well in a couple of paragraphs at the most. So anything beyond two paragraphs is a testament to the degree he is speaking about something he is not qualified to speak about. This soon becomes evident.

2. Thanissaro doesn't clearly define the extremely key term of "birth", and then uses the word "birth" inconsistently to refer to both the birth of ignorance (ignorant consciousness), as well as physical birth.

If the word "birth" is being used to refer to the birth of ignorance - which is a mental birth, happening moment-to-moment, here-and-now - then it doesn't follow that all physical births are also the birth of ignorance. The birth of ignorance and physical birth are two entirely different things, and Thanissaro conflates the two.

He also conflates "life" and "death" with physical life and death, rather than the moment-by-moment life and death of ignorant minds. Again, the two are different things, and need not have any relation. Physical birth may be a birth of an ignorant mind, but need not be, and likewise it may result from an ignorant mind, but need not do.

3. Thanissaro's interpretation of scripture is terribly bad, in nearly every case where he attempts it.

For example, where the scripture states "There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world.", Thanissaro says that "the phrase 'next world' in this passage refers to life after death."

He is mistaken. In fact, "the next world" refers to the next world. Each moment brings a new world.

But since Thanissaro conflates physical life and death with momentary psychological changes, it's impossible to make any coherent sense from his words.

4. Thanissaro says "Simply stating, 'I don't know,' is not an adequate response to the questions of rebirth".

I disagree.

In the case that you don't know if it is possible for any person to be reborn as a frog (say), after their physical death, then you should say "I don't know".

Likewise, if you don't know that all physical birth is a part of samsara, the cycle of "life and death", then you should say "I don't know".

5. Thanissaro mentions two arguments against his personal understanding of rebirth, but he only mentions extremely weak arguments which he appears to have made up himself, since no person would be so cartoonish as to make up those arguments in real life. He doesn't tackle any of the very strong arguments against his position, such as the argument from cause and effect, which concerns causal changes over time.