Can you become a monk if you have a pension?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
puppha

Can you become a monk if you have a pension?

Post by puppha »

I probably need to elaborate a bit on this one!
Suppose the following scenario: a man starts working in his 20s, and he gets a pension from his employer. He contributes to his pension, and his employer too. Now for some reason, 10 years later, he wants to leave the lay life and become a monk.
Now, he can sell his house, close his bank accounts, etc. so he can get rid of anything... except his pension. It is an asset than stays "dormant" until retirement age, at which date it kicks in and pays him a regular income.

Is it allowable for him to become a monk in this situation? I would tend to think this is actually a very common situation...

Metta
Cittasanto

Re: Can you become a monk if you have a pension?

Post by Cittasanto »

when there is a yet to be recieved pension?
I don't see why not. it could be provided to the monastery or another arrangement made for it to be dealt with
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

It is allowable for a monk to have money, it's just not allowable for him to handle it himself so he needs to appoint a layperson as steward to handle his affairs for him.

So in the case of a pension this could just keep building up until the monk needed a plane ticket for example, then the steward would need to make the withdrawal and buy the ticket.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
puppha

Post by puppha »

Thanks Cittasanto & Goofaholix for your comments. I would also tend to think that it shouldn't be a problem. Any Bhikkhu(ni) would be welcome to comment on that point too!

I also just realised that my question also applies to state pension as well... So that makes it even more universal!
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

Since pretty much every American who has held a job during their lifetime (unless the Republicans get their way) will receive at least some social security pension when they reach retirement age, it seems that no American could ever become a monk if this were the case. Since there are many American monks, it stands to reason that this shouldn't be an issue.

I , too, would be very interested in hearing from an American monk (preferably of social security benefit age) as to how this is handled.

Metta,

:anjali:
Sabba rasam dhammaraso jinati
The flavor of the dhamma exceeds all other flavors
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Sambojjhanga wrote:Since pretty much every American who has held a job during their lifetime (unless the Republicans get their way) will receive at least some social security pension when they reach retirement age, it seems that no American could ever become a monk if this were the case. Since there are many American monks, it stands to reason that this shouldn't be an issue.

For a monk to receive a state pension, in my opinion, is against the spirit of the life of a renunciant.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Mr Man wrote: For a monk to receive a state pension, in my opinion, is against the spirit of the life of a renunciant.
"Life" is a key word there, with the south east asian model there is no expectation that a monk will ordain for life and most return to lay life eventually. If they do decide to stay for life then yes I guess they'll need to work out what to do with the pension gathering dust in their bank account all that time.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Mr Man wrote: For a monk to receive a state pension, in my opinion, is against the spirit of the life of a renunciant.
A renunciant lives on charity. If state charity makes him/her less of a burden on private supporters, I don't see a problem. When I donate money here I can claim a tax credit, so 1/3 of the cash donations I make actually come from my government.

The point is, someone(s) does actually pay for the support of a renunciant (unless he's subsisting in the wilderness with no human contact). Gifts (including Dhamma) may be "freely given", but they are not "free" in the sense of costing nothing...

Mike
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Goofaholix wrote:"Life" is a key word there, with the south east asian model there is no expectation that a monk will ordain for life.
We are using the word "life" in a slightly different ways there.

I think there is a difference between a personal pension and a state pension. Receiving a state pension is not obligatory but with personal finance I think arrangements need be made.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

mikenz66 wrote: A renunciant lives on charity. If state charity makes him/her less of a burden on private supporters, I don't see a problem. When I donate money here I can claim a tax credit, so 1/3 of the cash donations I make actually come from my government.
In my opinion a renunciant should live suported by those with faith or at least in a more direct fashion.
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

Remember that social security payments, again, despite the propaganda to the contrary by the Republican Party, is the recipients own money! People pay into the plan from the day they start working until they day they stop.

All in all, I'm not interested in theory or what should or should not be done. I'd really like to hear from a monk who is actually in this position. Surely there are American monks of social security age out there, or at least that are known by people on this forum?

What is the actual practice? I, for one, don't think that a monk SHOULD receive any money directly when they are in robes. But OTOH, I don't think that a person's money which they have contributed to for their working life should simply go to the state.

As others have stated, SOMEONE is paying for the monk's life. Unless he's in the woods either collecting berries, someone is paying.

Just curious what really happens in practice.

Metta,

Sabba rasam dhammaraso jinati
The flavor of the dhamma exceeds all other flavors
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Mr Man wrote: In my opinion a renunciant should live suported by those with faith or at least in a more direct fashion.
There's nothing to stop him doing living day to day on the generosity of those with faith, but does that mean money he spent most of his lifetime gaining an entitlement to should be gifted to the state rather than kept aside in case he chooses to disrobe later?
― Ajahn Chah
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Goofaholix wrote:
Mr Man wrote: In my opinion a renunciant should live suported by those with faith or at least in a more direct fashion.
There's nothing to stop him doing living day to day on the generosity of those with faith, but does that mean money he spent most of his lifetime gaining an entitlement to should be gifted to the state rather than kept aside in case he chooses to disrobe later?
In the UK the state pension is an entilement if you have made National Insurance contributions over a period of time but it is not your money as such. It's not like you have been paying into a specific pension pot. If one were to disrobe at a later date the state pension could then be claimed.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

puppha wrote:Thanks Cittasanto & Goofaholix for your comments. I would also tend to think that it shouldn't be a problem. Any Bhikkhu(ni) would be welcome to comment on that point too!

I also just realised that my question also applies to state pension as well... So that makes it even more universal!
you know there are several British monks in Britain who are of an age that they are about to receive the pension if not are of that age.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill