Variations in the meditation practices of early Buddhists

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
fivebells

Variations in the meditation practices of early Buddhists

Post by fivebells »

I'm interested in learning about the meditation practices of the early Buddhist schools, in particular anything which has not survived to modern schools. Any suggestions on where to look? So far, most of the variations I've found have been ethical and doctrinal.
mynameisadahn

Re: Variations in the meditation practices of early Buddhists

Post by mynameisadahn »

I would be interested to see what responses you will get to your question. To answer it based on my limited knowledge, I would point to the first sections of the metta sutta, which as I recall, refers to 'those devoted to' different types of meditation. However, that seems to be a fairly short passage.
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Fivebells,

I would recommend to read the Vimuttimagga by Arahant Upatissa. The titles of the practices may sound similar, but the details of the practices are quite different.

See also "Vimuttimagga and Visuddhimagga: A Comparative Study" by Bapat.
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Thanks, Dmytro. I'll take a look.

Edit, five minutes later: Holy cow, that is an expensive book. I see references to an online version, but I can't find it. Anyone know where it is now?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

fivebells wrote:I'm interested in learning about the meditation practices of the early Buddhist schools, in particular anything which has not survived to modern schools. Any suggestions on where to look? So far, most of the variations I've found have been ethical and doctrinal.
Try this, The Yogāvacara's Manual: http://openlibrary.org/books/OL6576772M ... _Buddhists" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

fivebells wrote:I'm interested in learning about the meditation practices of the early Buddhist schools, in particular anything which has not survived to modern schools. Any suggestions on where to look? So far, most of the variations I've found have been ethical and doctrinal.
See this thread for links to sources on a number of ancient meditation manuals preserved in Chinese translation, mostly related to Sarvāstivāda: Chanjing Meditation Manuals.

And here's a copy of the so-called Yogāvacara's Manual. For context on this text see Tantric Theravāda and Aspects of Esoteric Southern Buddhism.

:buddha1:
fivebells

Post by fivebells »

Thanks for all the links, everyone! Looks very interesting.