Why one meal a day?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
harveysmith27

Re: Why one meal a day?

Post by harveysmith27 »

If you are trying to lose weight, you may be tempted to eat just one meal a day.
You're likely to lose weight -- at least initially. But it's also likely that you'll be hungry.
purple planet

Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Post by purple planet »

I used to be vegan now i am in a "break" of 3 months in which i ate meat - and now i want to go back to being vegan
- at the time i eat in the morning cereal with milk and for lunch vegetables with meat and then i dont eat until next morning -

My question is how to eat vegan and once or twice a day and still get all nutritional vitamins and minerals and also proteins and carbs ? and how do you do it with only one meal a day ?
Ben

Re: Vegan diet - and one meal a day ?

Post by Ben »

Unless you are a monk, I don't understand why you only want to eat once a day.
Be that as it may, make sure that your meal contains a range of different food items inc beans/tofu/tempeh, green vegetables such as bok choi, peas, broccoli and a source of carbs - potato, rice or bread. There should be easily available resources on the internet to help you balance your diet.
All the best,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
marc108

Post by marc108 »

purple planet wrote: My question is how to eat vegan and once or twice a day and still get all nutritional vitamins and minerals and also proteins and carbs ? and how do you do it with only one meal a day ?
impossible
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Ben's advice is very sound. In addition, you will need a source of vitamin B12.

The English monk Ajahn Vajiro has been vegan for a long while and says it has caused him no problems on one meal a day.

But to echo Ben again, why bother with this when you don't need to?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

See this long thread on this subject: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
marc108 wrote:
purple planet wrote: My question is how to eat vegan and once or twice a day and still get all nutritional vitamins and minerals and also proteins and carbs ? and how do you do it with only one meal a day ?
impossible
Definitely not impossible because I'm doing it and I know of others who are doing it.

You just need to make sure to get enough protein, not because we need that much protein (we don't) but simply so you will have more of a sensation of being full. And this can be done with plenty of grains, legumes, nuts, beans, tofu, etc.

The only nutrient the vegan diet is missing is B-12 but the amount we need is measured in micrograms, not even in grams. There are some (harder to find) vegan sources too.

As with any one meal program or two meals before noon, you need to make sure to get at / close to the number of calories that you ate with three meals, just all at once if doing one meal. It is not that hard once you get used to it. As lay people it is not required, so I don't do it all the time, but around 90% of the time.

I use the same principle with being vegan -- I don't do it all the time, since it's not required of me for any reason other than good nutrition, so will eat lacto-ovo on occasion. And eating lacto-ovo once in a while then supplies all the B-12 you need.
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Not only B12 but choline, also considered an essential nutrient.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
marc108

Post by marc108 »

David N. Snyder wrote: Definitely not impossible because I'm doing it and I know of others who are doing it.
respectfully, I would invite you to download cron-o-meter(.com) and enter your food for a few days. i've done so much long term analysis on my diet for school (vegetarian, eat twice per day) i know its nearly impossible to get 100% vits/mins without serious planning and habitual eating patterns and literally impossible as a vegan (without supplementation). whether or not getting 100% of everything is going to effect your health in the long term is a different story... it seems a lot of people can have subadaquate nutrition and live long healthy lives for some reason.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

I've done it for a while, so it's possible, but it requires heedfulness and quite a bit of research. I would suggest, if possible, that you contact a professional nutritionist or dietician.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

David N. Snyder and LonesomeYogurt can you tell me examples meals you ate - that would be very helpful
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

purple planet wrote:David N. Snyder and LonesomeYogurt can you tell me examples meals you ate - that would be very helpful
Usually I made sure to include tofu or tempeh in large quantities, but otherwise I did a rotating lineup of spinach, broccoli, and other leafy greens as well as peanuts or almonds if I didn't include any main protein. Rice and beans, preferably together, are also great things to work in a few times a week. Coconut milk is also your friend when it comes to making curries or other large, multi-ingredient dishes. I stayed away from most grains besides rice and occasionally whole-wheat wraps. Honestly I found that Asian food was the easiest to "veganize" and I tended mostly towards simplicity, although I'm sure someone who is a better cook than I could wring more out of the ingredients and make any type of approach work.

Take a supplement for B12 and other necessities. You might also consider a general vegan vitamin and, if you're not too rigid, maybe some fresh fruit for an evening snack.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

I eat bio vegan one meal a day until one year perharps.

And i dont care about vitamins. It's more simple.
Anyway we go die.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

purple planet wrote:David N. Snyder and LonesomeYogurt can you tell me examples meals you ate - that would be very helpful
שלום חבר
(Hebrew greeting)

I eat a variety of foods; here is a sample:

Stir fry veggies and tofu, rice,
veggie burger,
fake-meat deli slices in a sandwich,
falafel in a pita with salad (I know you know that one),
salads,
cooked vegetables in curry sauce,
Indian foods made vegan such as malai kofta balls and other vegetarian Indian dishes without the dairy cream sauces that are usually in the recipes.
Vegan Ethiopian foods such as mixed veggies, spicy lentils, green beans with carrots and spicy sauce, etc.
Bar-be-Que tofu (just put slices of tofu on a cooking sheet, brush with bar-be-que sauce and bake for about 10 minutes; easy)
Italian foods such as vegan lasagne, vegan pizza (soy cheese), pastas

As you can see, it doesn't have to be boring to be vegan and it can still be tasty. :tongue:
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

I was just reading the biography of this monk in northern Thailand:
Since April 2010 the Venerable Khuva Boonchum has been in a solitary retreat in the Rajagrha cave in Lampang Province, northern Thailand; he is determined to complete a three-years three-months three-weeks and three-days retreat. A life-long vegetarian, he lives on fruits and biscuits that his followers bring all the way and place them at the entrance of the cave. He comes out every now and then to take the food when there is no one around. He observes total silence while in retreat but answers dhamma questions in writing when one is put to him.
:popcorn:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Some of the veggie burgers are very good, others taste like old shoe boxes, I learned the hard way. Another great thing to make is faux tuna salad: grind chick peas with a little garlic and that Japanese seaweed called Nori, which is not only edible but very nutritious. But don't use too much. It imparts a pleasant fishy taste to the chickpeas. Spread it on rye and by God it's like tuna salad. Use free-range chick peas please, the ones that frolicked happily in fields seem to taste better.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?