Monk weight

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Unrul3r

Monk weight

Post by Unrul3r »

Hello all,

I have a small question regarding a monk's weight.

Since I'm observing 7 precepts, I've lost 7kg in less than a month, from 69kg to 62kg.

From my in-body experience, I feel a bit lighter and with less tension inside my body. Since I've never felt this, I was wondering if this is what usually happens and how much a monk of my height (1,84m) usually weights with one meal a day.

Metta to all!
Cittasanto

Re: Monk weight

Post by Cittasanto »

Unrul3r wrote:Hello all,

Since I'm observing 7 precepts, I've lost 7kg in less than a month, from 69kg to 62kg.

From my in-body experience, I feel a bit lighter and with less tension inside my body. Since I've never felt this, I was wondering if this is what usually happens and how much a monk of my height (1,84m) usually weights with one meal a day.

Metta to all!
keep watch on your weight as a base level is different for everyone and remember if you are working full-time you need a little extra energy.
while I was in the monastery (not a bhikkhu) I was about 70kg but I am a little taller than you (187) just keep an eye on your weight gain and loss and keep track of it so you can see if you need to eat more or not.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

Unrul3r wrote:Hello all,

Metta to all!
Hi

I remember loosing about the same.

Monks have less rushed lives and time to adjust to eating less often. Also in Thailand it's not as cold as Europe or North America, so you don't need to eat to keep warm.

I noticed monks in the UK have cheese or chocolate in the evening as a medicine to be able to stay warm at night. They need those calories!

Some Wat have one meal rules, but most here (Thailand) are two meals a day.

In Thailand they can also have soya milk in the evening.

Good luck. With Metta.

Graham
Unrul3r

Post by Unrul3r »

I see. Thank you both for your replies!

With Metta.
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I lost 5 Kg in three weeks while staying in Chithurst Buddhist Monastery last month.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
piano piano

Post by piano piano »

Thai Monks Face Obesity Epidemic
http://www.linktv.org/linkasia/blog/pos ... y-epidemic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Similar in other Buddhist countries. Not eating after noon one tends to overeat before. Also, if two meals are taken, the two are often too close together, the first not being properly digested. There should be at least 4 hours between two meals, in hot countries rather more than that. Disease follows wrong eating habits. And, white polished rice, mostly the staple food, is not very healthy. In Sri Lanka there is often red rice as an alternative, fortunately for the monks and nuns there.
DAWN

Post by DAWN »

One meal vegan diet for 10-12 mounth , with 184cm, i loose aboout 10-15kg, so now my weight is 65.
And actualy, now, i can't eat twice a day or more, i feel discomfort, weight, lazy etc... I dont know if other dhamma friends feel the same.
IMO, without food in estomach is much better for practice :meditate:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english