Hamsterwheel.ca - Keep track and share your practice

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
Viscid

Hamsterwheel.ca - Keep track and share your practice

Post by Viscid »

Hello,

I've put up a forum at http://www.hamsterwheel.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the purpose of allowing people to post periodically about their meditation practice. I've found the forum useful thus far to keep up my own habit, and to see how others practice...

Currently there are only three users, but I'd like to get a group of 5-10 on there for mutual encouragement.

There are two forums, a 'discussion' forum where you can post whatever you want, and a 'check-in' forum where you can create your own thread about your practice. I'd like to keep the check-in threads free of other people's opinions on how one should practice, ("You're doing it wrong!" is a comment I'd like to avoid, people should be free to practice how they feel is appropriate.) so every thread in the 'check-in' forum should consist of a series of posts from the author of the original post.

You'll have to register. This is not in any way associated with Dhammawheel/Dharmawheel.

I acknowledge that people are likely rather reluctant to talk about their practice, as it's a rather personal thing and making it public leaves one vulnerable.. But you can post as much or as little information as you want. Also, admitting to missing days of practice isn't such an awful thing-- you'll see on the forum I have a lot of 'too drunk to meditate' days. Life happens. Hopefully everyone who posts on the forum will be supportive and understanding.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Alobha

Re: Hamsterwheel.ca - Keep track and share your practice

Post by Alobha »

Viscid wrote: I acknowledge that people are likely rather reluctant to talk about their practice, as it's a rather personal thing and making it public leaves one vulnerable.. But you can post as much or as little information as you want.
Maybe having the check-in section only accessable for registered users would help people to participate. Personally, i think it's a great idea, as it gathers allies and social support for the practice :smile: Since you aim for a small group, i feel like people at your forum would also profit from an "introductions" forum, perhaps with emphasis on past practice.

Best wishes,
Alobha
Ben

Post by Ben »

Viscid,

Congratulations on the launch of your forum, hamsterwheel, and I wish you every success!
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

I have been posting on Hamsterwheel for a month now and have found it a very useful way of maintaining my practice. By making a public declaration of my intention to sit regularly every day, I find that I am more inclined to put this into action. Posting times and comments also serves as a meditation diary, allowing me to review past patterns in my meditation.

I like the idea of a members-only subforum where members have the option of posting in a less public setting. Also, I agree that an "introductions" forum would be a very useful addition, providing a friendlier and more welcoming environment.

I would like to see Hamsterwheel develop more as a support group where members can engage one another on a regular basis. While each member brings with them their own way of practicing, other members can be invited by a member to provide mutual support and encouragement. This can be done by means of private messages or perhaps a subforum specifically designed for that purpose.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

EVOLUTION OF THE WHEEL

3500 BCE The wheel is invented, allowing for future inventions making work more productive and connecting people previously separated by long distances
3000 BCE Chariot wheel invented allowing for quicker travel and transportation between points
1350 CE Rail transport wheels used to allow quicker trade and transport
1600 Ship's wheel invented
1817 Bicycles and bicycle wheels invented
1885 Automobile wheels invented
1993 Mouse wheel invented allowing quicker web surfing and navigation of websites
2008 Dhamma Wheel established allowing Buddhists to interact from around the globe
2012 Hamster wheel established -- It is realized that the wheel is not some place to go to, but rather to look within, like running in a hamster wheel.

plwk

Post by plwk »

:lol:
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

alobha wrote:Maybe having the check-in section only accessable for registered users would help people to participate.

I added a 'private' check-in section, and made the original one the 'public' check-in section.. so now if someone registers, they have the option to have their posts public or private.
alobha wrote:Personally, i think it's a great idea, as it gathers allies and social support for the practice Since you aim for a small group, i feel like people at your forum would also profit from an "introductions" forum, perhaps with emphasis on past practice.
Introductions section added, thanks for the suggestion and support.

Also thanks Ben, and lol David.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
jimmyanderson45

Post by jimmyanderson45 »

:jumping: I have been posting on Hamsterwheel for a month now and have found it a very useful way of maintaining my practice. By making a public declaration of my intention to sit regularly every day, I find that I am more inclined to put this into action. Posting times and comments also serves as a meditation diary, allowing me to review past patterns in my meditation.
:twothumbsup: :goodpost:
Brad555

Post by Brad555 »

I agree that an "introductions" forum would be a very useful addition, providing a friendlier and more welcoming environment.Thanx for sharing it.