Early Buddhism resources

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
ancientbuddhism

Re: Early Buddhism resources

Post by ancientbuddhism »

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Earliest Buddhism and Madhyamaka; (Series) Panels of the VIIth World Sanskrit Conference – Kern Institute, Leiden: August 23-29, 1987 Vol. II, by David Seyfort Ruegg & Lambert Schmithausen (Editors)
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

The Buddhist Conquest of China: The Spread and Adaptation of Buddhism in Early Medieval China, E. Zürcher: (Series) Sinica Leidensia; Vol. XI; by Barend J. Ter Haar (Editor)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Early Buddhist Theory of Knowledge, by K.N. Jayatilleke

David Kalupahana, a student of Jayatilleke, expanded on a theme of empirical knowledge found in the Sabbasutta (SN. 35.23), with comparison to Nikāya and Āgama versions, not cited in Jayatilleke's work:

A Tract on Empiricism, by D.J. Kalupahana: Philosophy East and West, Vol. 19, No. 1 (Jan., 1969) pp.. 65-67

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Last edited by ancientbuddhism on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Handful of Leaves
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

x
Last edited by Polar Bear on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Counting the Buddha and the Local Spirits in: A Monastic Ritual of Inclusion for the Rain Retreat, by Gregory Schopen (Journal of Indian Philosophy. Vol. 30. 2002 pp. 359–388)

A Handful of Leaves
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Two links to the Vimuttimagga...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32131566/The- ... muttimagga" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf1/Path_of ... imagga.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
ancientbuddhism

Mahāyāna Buddhism: The doctrinal foundations, by Paul Williams (Second Edition)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

The Buddhist Caves at Aurangabad: The Impact of the Laity, by Pia Brancaccio

Ars Orientalis - Vol. 30 Supplement 1: Chāchājī: Professor Walter M. Spink Felicitation Volume (2000); pp. 41-50. Published by: The Smithsonian Institution

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Gandhāran Buddhism: Archaeology, Art, Texts – Pia Brancaccio and Kurt Behrendt (Editors) - Asian Religions and Society Series IV

A Handful of Leaves
matantos

Post by matantos »

Looks like i have some reading to do...