World's Parliament of Religions

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Nicholas Weeks

World's Parliament of Religions

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The land of Oz will host the 2009 Parliament in December, in Melbourne. Not all programs or speakers have been finalized, so Buddhists have time to present such to the organizers.

http://www.parliamentofreligions.org/index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
genkaku

Re: World's Parliament of Religions

Post by genkaku »

I got one of those come-on-down e-mails and, because Aussies are enjoying summer while I freeze my keester off here in the states, I was really tempted to create some program that might gain acceptance. Then I realized I have three children, a mortgage, a job and besides all that, I'm too old and fat and lazy.

I do hope others will attend, however.

PS. If you go, I'd love to have a souvenir kangaroo. :)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

genkaku wrote:I got one of those come-on-down e-mails and, because Aussies are enjoying summer while I freeze my keester off here in the states, I was really tempted to create some program that might gain acceptance. Then I realized I have three children, a mortgage, a job and besides all that, I'm too old and fat and lazy.

I do hope others will attend, however.

PS. If you go, I'd love to have a souvenir kangaroo. :)
Would you not rather have three wallabies instead of one big kanga? They are much cuter - and you would save in shipping.

Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

Dear Will -- Let my people get back to your people on that. Three kids, three wallabees ... a nice, even distribution of wealth. On the other hand, would I have enough money to pay for my much-needed rubber room?

The thought, however, is appreciated ... sort of. :)
Individual

Post by Individual »

Will wrote:The land of Oz will host the 2009 Parliament in December, in Melbourne. Not all programs or speakers have been finalized, so Buddhists have time to present such to the organizers.

http://www.parliamentofreligions.org/index.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Parliament for what? Do we get to vote on whether God exists or not?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

Dear Individual -- It was in 1894 that the first World Parliament of Religions was held in Chicago. I think, but don't know, that there have been other similar events at other times. The object of the exercise, as near as I can figure, is to meet, greet, learn from each other and perhaps give a boost to tolerance.

I don't think that selling God is on the menu.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Individual wrote:
Will wrote:The land of Oz will host the 2009 Parliament in December, in Melbourne. Not all programs or speakers have been finalized, so Buddhists have time to present such to the organizers.

Parliament for what? Do we get to vote on whether God exists or not?
Try clicking on the link provided.
Ben

Post by Ben »

So far it looks good for a talk fest. And its only going to be across Bass Strait from where I'll be living.
I'll take a rain cheque for the time being until I know what I'll be doing and where I'm working.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..