Jhāna: Buddhist or not?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
daverupa

Re: Jhāna: Buddhist or not?

Post by daverupa »

Modus.Ponens wrote:It was not directed at Mahasi Sayadaw. But you know perfectly well that there are teachers that do what I said, be it in a subtle way or in a direct way.
Here, it seems to me, is an example of a view which approaches such a description:
"Suffice to say that a common supposition is that the jhānas are a borrowed technique from Indian contemplative traditions, while vipassanā is the only unique liberating technique which is uniquely Buddhist."
The rose-apple tree event seems to be an origin story for the Buddha's experience and description of jhana, and it is in a context of the rejection of prevailing meditation technologies. He recalls a childhood/adolescent experience which provides the foundation for Buddhist jhana, which does not seem to have been associated with any other teacher or mode of practice.

To then say, as I have seen done, that these jhanas were part of the pre-Buddhist meditation repertoire - and therefore, that they precede any formless attainments and were thus a relatively common preliminary practice - is to see them as subordinate to formless attainments, which I think is a gross misunderstanding.

It doesn't seem to be an intentional disrespect, however.

As far as the paper goes, I see jhanas as descriptions rather than practices, so to that extent I can agree. That samatha-vipassana is also correctly recognized as a description of qualities, rather than practices, is encouraging.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Modus.Ponens wrote:It was not directed at Mahasi Sayadaw. But you know perfectly well that there are teachers that do what I said, be it in a subtle way or in a direct way.
Leading a sheltered life, no, I don't of any such teachers.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Dave,
daverupa wrote: Here, it seems to me, is an example of a view which approaches such a description:
"Suffice to say that a common supposition is that the jhānas are a borrowed technique from Indian contemplative traditions, while vipassanā is the only unique liberating technique which is uniquely Buddhist."
Whether or not one agrees with this particular assumption about what others think, or whether the people who may think that are correct or not, I would say that this a completely different issue from whether concentration is considered to be essential.

Dana and sila are not unique to the Buddha's teaching. That does not make them inessential.

According to the suttas the key to the path is insights into suffering and a doctrine of self. Which parts of the techniques used to achieve those insights are "unique" doesn't seem to me to be the important issue.

As for deciding on an approach, as the quote I gave above from Chanmyay Sayadaw indicates, one of the issues about which approach one uses is one's circumstance, i.e. what is the most useful thing to do if you can't devote 100% of your life to Dhamma practice? How much time should be allocated to dana, sila, development of mindfulness, concentration, insight, etc? Recommending some particular mix as a practical option for busy people doesn't necessarily imply negativity about parts of the path.

:anjali:
Mike