metta self visualization

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
befriend

metta self visualization

Post by befriend »

when doing metta bhavana i know you can visualize or just say the name of a dear friend, neutral person etc... but can you visualize yourself? or do you just use your name.
metta, befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
daverupa

Re: metta self visualization

Post by daverupa »

I think this is a problem with this particular approach to mettabhavana; intentionally summoning certain images of beings seems to me to be unnecessarily complicated.

Perhaps instead, using kusala-dhammas (wholesome things) to recall metta as necessary, make it your habit to pervade the surround with it, encompassing any beings which appear to the six senses as one moves about ones day. This includes those which arise in memory and imagination, but it does not necessarily mean intentionally bringing such things into play.

:heart:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]