Wrong livelihood for Bhikkhus

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Hanzze

Re: Wrong livelihood for Bhikkhus

Post by Hanzze »

There is no such thing as Khmer-Buddhism, but there is in every country the tendecy to use identitiy and nationalism to make Buddhism ones own. We can call it also Folk-Buddhism. Here it is more about Ordination, Vinaya and as taught by the Buddha. If you like to know about Khmer Buddhism, than you also can read about Thai-Buddhism or Tibetan-Buddhism, or Dhammakaya, for sure also Sri Lanka-Buddhism... its all the same. Sure 90% of all Khmer Monks are amoung wrong livelihood and the medicin monk is a normal phenomena. There are not much wise men, who would just simply give alms to the worthy. 60.000 Monks, 60.000 people wlaking a holy live. Nice thought, but somehow very naive. Religion is always a part of politic and social work as I had try to show already. Dhamma-Vinaya is somehow a little beyound and realy helpful at least.

If the Buddha thought that social work would be helpful for people at least, he would not have preached the Dhamma and its way. He would have been a social worker or another Samsara "Wheelturner"
I can never accept that traditional medicine is a 'beastly science'
Me too, very important. If there is no more "traditional" or "allowed" medicine and knowledge about it, there would be no more possible treatment for sick monks and those who take precepts serious wlaking a holy life. So to care and lern about it as a layman and to transfere knowledge as a Bhikkhu is a very meritious deed. But I guess we really run off-topic.
A disagreement left?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Many in regrad of Wrong Livelihood is found in the "The Analysis of Virtue" of the Brahmajāla Sutta: The All-embracing Net of Views
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Raksha

Post by Raksha »

Dear Hanzze, Thankyou for editing your post to make it rather less blunt and unfriendly. I couldn't help noticing that all the topics you dismiss as mere 'folk Buddhism' correspond exactly to my posts :cry: . If I have written anything that offends you please accept my apology. It is true my interests are not exactly the same as yours, but that is not to say that they are worthless.
A scholarly monk once wrote that Buddhism is like pure water, such that when it is placed in different glasses it takes on different colours and shapes. I must admit that I find these multi-coloured forms of Buddhism in different times and cultures absolutely fascinating :geek: . Whereas your view seems to be that anything outside 'ordination, vinaya and as taught by the Buddha' is merely the preserve of politics, nationalism and 'social work' and has no place on this forum.
Which is to say that your opinion is a different colour to mine, which is absolutely fascinating ;)
As my (allegedly adult) offspring are fond of telling me 'you need to chill out, dude.' :sage:
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

What kind of livelihood did the scholar monk have?
Just that! *smile*