Translation Help

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
diligence

Translation Help

Post by diligence »

From the Life of the Buddha written by Bhikkhu Nanamoli, I read the following content:

The Blessed One was once living at SAvatthI in Jeta's Grove. A deity called Rohitassa came to him late in the night, paid homage to him and asked: "Lord, the world's end where one is neither born nor ages nor dies, nor passes away nor reappears: is it possible to know or see or reach that by traveling there?"

The Buddha:"Friend, that there is a world's end where one is neither born nor ages nor dies, nor passes away nor reappears, which is to be known or seen or reached by traveling there — that I do not say. Yet I do not say that there is ending of suffering without reaching the world's end. Rather it is in this fathom-long carcass with its perceptions and its mind that I describe the world, the origin of the world, the cessation of the world, and the way leading to the cessation of the world."

Could anyone be good enough to paraphrase the colored words since being a Chinese I cannot understand it,especially the word rather used here? The simpler but more detailed, the better. Thank you very much in advance.
:anjali:
With the arising of delight, there is the arising of suffering. With the cessation of delight, comes the cessation of suffering.
Nandisamudayā dukkhasamudayo, nandinirodhā dukkhanirodho.
Dukkhameva uppajjamānaṃ uppajjati, dukkhaṃ nirujjhamānaṃ nirujjhati.
Cittasanto

Re: Translation Help

Post by Cittasanto »

diligence wrote:From the Life of the Buddha written by Bhikkhu Nanamoli, I read the following content:

The Blessed One was once living at SAvatthI in Jeta's Grove. A deity called Rohitassa came to him late in the night, paid homage to him and asked: "Lord, the world's end where one is neither born nor ages nor dies, nor passes away nor reappears: is it possible to know or see or reach that by traveling there?"

The Buddha:"Friend, that there is a world's end where one is neither born nor ages nor dies, nor passes away nor reappears, which is to be known or seen or reached by traveling there — that I do not say. Yet I do not say that there is ending of suffering without reaching the world's end. Rather it is in this fathom-long carcass with its perceptions and its mind that I describe the world, the origin of the world, the cessation of the world, and the way leading to the cessation of the world."

Could anyone be good enough to paraphrase the colored words since being a Chinese I cannot understand it,especially the word rather used here? The simpler but more detailed, the better. Thank you very much in advance.
:anjali:
Rather = with better reason
it is in this fathom-long carcass = this body of ours

with better words I describe this body - along with perceptions & mind - as the world.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
diligence

Post by diligence »

Thank you for your great help! SAdhu! SAdhu!

Could you please parephrase direct knowledge? and please give an example for direct knowledge and indirect knowledge. Thank you so much. :anjali:
With the arising of delight, there is the arising of suffering. With the cessation of delight, comes the cessation of suffering.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Direct Knowledge (abhiññā)'s definition could be found here.

http://palikanon.com/english/wtb/a/abhinna.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, we worldlings still has "indirect knowledge" because we still have conceit, craving, and wrong view, which prevent us from "directly" see things as they really are..
diligence

Post by diligence »

I see. Thank you very much! SAdhu! SAdhu! :anjali: