drugs and meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
jcsuperstar

drugs and meditation

Post by jcsuperstar »

oh no its the old get high get enlightened thread :cookoo:

no, i'm talking about all sorts of drugs, have any helped you?

like i take omega 3 pills, i dont know if they help my meditation, but they help my mood and they make bad dreams go away (if i quit taking them for long periods of time i actually have bad dreams but when on them i dont...) , they are supossed to be good for depression, maybe there is a conection.

i also heard a piece on NPR about mind enhancing drugs (a.d.d. drugs etc) and many people are getting them to help with memory and focus. i was sorta curious if one could use them to strengthen concentration meditation, but i have no way of testing this...

ginko? ginseng? B12?

what are you hooked on?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Guy

Re: drugs and meditation

Post by Guy »

jcsuperstar wrote:what are you hooked on?
Coffee, I definitely notice it effects my meditation if I have 2 or 3 strong cups during the day before I sit. However, I don't notice a difference between having 1 cup and having none. I have tried many times to stop altogether but it seems this is quite a strong attachment for me.

Also, having lived in Australia all my life, I am very attached to vegemite.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Fede

Post by Fede »

St John's Wort
Black Cohosh
Dong Quai

All natural herbal remedies which relieve the symptoms of the menopause.

No way would I ever have HRT.

They seem to be working.
I haven't massacred my partner or stolen sweets off small children in weeks.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Fede
No way would I ever have HRT.

I have heard these are awful in some cases, not all but when they are bad they are bad.
They seem to be working.
I haven't massacred my partner or stolen sweets off small children in weeks.
LOL
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

wasnt coffee used by christian monks to help them pray?
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Ben

Post by Ben »

I would say that coffee wasn't used to help them pray so much as it was probably used to help them stay awake!
And when it comes to my meditation, I usually don't start an early morning session without first having a cup of coffee.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Ben wrote:And when it comes to my meditation, I usually don't start an early morning session without first having a cup of coffee.
Viva cafe...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

At work, me and my friend Ramsis call coffee "wake up juice" or just "juice" for short.

"Juice time?"

:guns:

Seriously though, I've found coffee can be useful to offset sloth and torpor... but don't overdo it or you'll lean towards the hindrance of restlessness and anxiety.

:juggling:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
zavk

Post by zavk »

No coffee for me before meditation, it stimulates my mind too much. A cup of tea does the job nicely in the morning, it perks me up without over stimulating the mind.
With metta,
zavk
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

I've been drinking coffee in copious quantities for forty years. About 10 years ago, I reached some sort of "tipping point" at which time I became hyper-sensitive to the caffeine. Sometime after that, I switched to half-caf which has worked well.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Dopamine. (As produced in the brain.)
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
yogamaggie

Post by yogamaggie »

As far as I know, coffee drinking arose during the early modern period so I doubt Christian monks were drinking coffee.
flyingOx

Post by flyingOx »

Jechbi wrote:
Dopamine. (As produced in the brain.)
All endorphins are friggin awesome man. They can take me way out there. Like WOH!.. DUDE!
One is encouraged to seek the truth, but be warned if you ever find it, you will be treated as blasphemous.
woini

Post by woini »

yogamaggie wrote:As far as I know, coffee drinking arose during the early modern period so I doubt Christian monks were drinking coffee.
In Ethiopia there is the story of how coffee was discovered. A goat herder watched as his goats ate from a plant and he noticed that they were full of energy and vibrant. He tried the plant and then introduced it to the world. It happened in the 9th century A.D. Historians agree that Ethiopia is the country of origin for the discovery and few dispute it. Ethiopia is one of the largest exporters of coffee today.
Dhamma Wheel on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9 ... 623&ref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nomad

Post by nomad »

I’ve never found any external substance such as ginko, caffeine, or B12 to be particularly helpful during meditation. If anything, coffee has been a serious detriment to more than one of my meditation sessions. Usually if I have a full stomach and I’m comfortable, it’s enough to keep my mind focused.

~nomad

:sage:
"I am because we are." -Xhosa Tribal Saying