Guan-Yin, THE GODDESS OF METTA

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
yawares

Re: Guan-Yin, THE GODDESS OF METTA

Post by yawares »

Long Story .... I went to a Thai Temple in Britain, not easy to find Indian ones. We have about 4 forest Temples set up in the Ajarn Chah family. Ironically I have met monks in both Ubon and Rayong that I knew in Britain.
yawares: How nice!

We even had kids Dharma camp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ogtTeFDur8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Can u spot me and the kids?
yawares: Yes, I think I can.

India is difficult to get a job in. Thailand is easy. I met my wife, who is Thai, in Britain and the kids were bilingual. It's funny; I met my wife wandering in a park with food.. I liked the food, didn't realise she hadn't made it. :thinking:
yawares: Love at first sight?

Not being nasty, I do prefer Indian food and much of Indian culture. In India Buddhists don't eat meat or drink alcohol for example. I mustn't mention which women I prefer ... :tongue:
yawares: Oh..You might be in big big trouble!

It was actually easier for me to practice in Britain than here. We go to a forest Monastery still, I don't tend to visit those in town often, other than my kids go to a Temple School. :broke:

I've written up the first part of my biography in the personal experience section ... more to follow ... :reading:
yawares: Thank you for writing your story..I'll read it :thumbsup:
Graham[/quote]
Dear Graham,
Thank you for writing your story,
yawares
Sutiro

Post by Sutiro »

I think Kuan Yin is very prominent in Vietnam. She is depicted as as a standing white lady Buddha always watching to sea. She is the protector of seamen and fishermen. Is this the same as the one you mention? We intend to buy a beautiful white marble statue of her and place her on a hill on our property which is close to the sea.

Sutiro
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Sutiro wrote:I think Kuan Yin is very prominent in Vietnam. She is depicted as as a standing white lady Buddha always watching to sea. She is the protector of seamen and fishermen. Is this the same as the one you mention? We intend to buy a beautiful white marble statue of her and place her on a hill on our property which is close to the sea.

Sutiro
Yes, the same one :smile:
The book by Blofeld which I mentioned earlier has quite a bit about her association with sailors and the sea.
He sees her as a deity whose tradition has absorbed myths and stories of several others: Avalokiteshvara, of course, a saintly Chinese princess and (I think) a couple of others. But this is all from memory, because the book is one I borrowed and haven't got now.

:namaste:
Kim
yawares

Post by yawares »

Sutiro wrote:I think Kuan Yin is very prominent in Vietnam. She is depicted as as a standing white lady Buddha always watching to sea. She is the protector of seamen and fishermen. Is this the same as the one you mention? We intend to buy a beautiful white marble statue of her and place her on a hill on our property which is close to the sea.

Sutiro
Dear Sutiro,
Oh yes, I think so ...The beautiful Guan-Yin(Kuan-Yin) at Khao-Sam-Mook, Chonburi Thailand stands facing the ocean too!!

After you place beautiful white marble statue of Kuan-Yin on a hill on your property by the sea..please please post the picture @DW so we members can enjoy seeing the pretty goddess too...I myself consider buying a small Guan-Yin standing on a big lotus flower statue in Houston next time we go there...they sell white/green/multi colors Guan-yin statues at the Chinese Mall.
yawares will post picture too. :anjali:
Last edited by yawares on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

My avatar.... :smile:
yawares

Post by yawares »

Annapurna wrote:My avatar.... :smile:
Dear Annapurna,

Chinese Ivory Guan-Yin

This youtube Guan-Yin is pretty with chanting too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpwqEIhY ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yawares
Last edited by yawares on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

yawares wrote:I met my wife, who is Thai, in Britain and the kids were bilingual. It's funny; I met my wife wandering in a park with food.. I liked the food, didn't realise she hadn't made it. :thinking:

yawares
Love at first bite, it was the food that did it! :heart:

Graham
yawares

Post by yawares »

GraemeR wrote:
yawares wrote:I met my wife, who is Thai, in Britain and the kids were bilingual. It's funny; I met my wife wandering in a park with food.. I liked the food, didn't realise she hadn't made it. :thinking:

yawares
Love at first bite, it was the food that did it! :heart:

Graham
Dear Graham,
You met your wife in the park? And she let you taste her food? ...Thai food??? Well, this is my theory: you were attracted to her so you approached her by complementing her food...and she liked you too so she let you taste the food...one thing let to another!! Am I right?? :thinking:

NOTE: Now you know that 40 members like to read your story :thumbsup:

yawares( Dr. Sigmund Freud's student!!) :tongue:
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

yawares wrote:]Dear Graham,
You met your wife in the park? And she let you taste her food? ...Thai food??? Well, this is my theory: you were attracted to her so you approached her by complementing her food...and she liked you too so she let you taste the food...one thing let to another!! Am I right?? :thinking:

NOTE: Now you know that 40 members like to read your story :thumbsup:

yawares( Dr. Sigmund Freud's student!!) :tongue: [/b][/color]
Dear Yawares

No!!!! The food was a trap! :tantrum: She hadn't even made it herself :stirthepot:

In fact I went to meet an old Turkish friend who was studying in the UK. We went for a walk in the park. My future wife was at the same language school and they knew each other. That is how we met and she gave me some of her lunch. She had been given it from a restaurant she worked part time in.

I met my Turkish friend on a bus in Istanbul. I still know old students I taught in the late 1990s! Now they are doctors, lawyers and teaches etc :clap: .

Was I trapped by the food? :tongue: Maybe I'll never know :shrug:

Graham
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

"Love goes through the belly" (a german proverb tells), that is maybe also the reason why Guan-Yin (or Avalokitasvara, or Chenrezig, or Phra Mae Kuan Im, or Preah Mae Kun Ci Iem) is so populare. What ever is able to make us contented and pleased... for the six mothes even 1000 arms are to less.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Yawares
No!!!! The food was a trap! :tantrum: She hadn't even made it herself :stirthepot:
In fact I went to meet an old Turkish friend who was studying in the UK. We went for a walk in the park. My future wife was at the same language school and they knew each other. That is how we met and she gave me some of her lunch. She had been given it from a restaurant she worked part time in.
I met my Turkish friend on a bus in Istanbul. I still know old students I taught in the late 1990s! Now they are doctors, lawyers and teaches etc :clap: .

Was I trapped by the food? :tongue: Maybe I'll never know :shrug:
Graham[/quote]
Dear Graham,
I know that you're playful/love Thai food...soon I'll post a story about my dear friend in Illinois who taught me to cook yummy Thai foods. Please ask your wife to cook: Tod-Mun/Pork-Satay/Som-Tum/Por-pia with sweet/sour sauce/Yum-Yai . If she can't cook these foods then please take her to a restaurant and order these foods :thumbsup: ...you'll love love love...like you get love in your tummy!!!
Song for you/wife : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u21Kg_PzmMA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yawares :thumbsup:
yawares

Post by yawares »

Hanzze wrote:"Love goes through the belly" (a german proverb tells), that is maybe also the reason why Guan-Yin (or Avalokitasvara, or Chenrezig, or Phra Mae Kuan Im, or Preah Mae Kun Ci Iem) is so populare. What ever is able to make us contented and pleased... for the six mothes even 1000 arms are to less.
Dear Hanzze,

Chinese Carved Ivory Standing Figure of Guanyin

If "Love goes through the belly" is for everyman...then Yawares would be an old maid!...I didn't know how to cook anything until Tep took me and our 8 months old daughter to come to live in Columbus,Ohio, USA where I met many Thai students who taught me to cook...best of all ..I met a Thai restaurant owner who showed me how to cook HONEY ROASTED DUCK/CHICKEN SHANGHAI !!! After 6 years in Ohio, Tep got a new job in Illinois...then I met a Thai nurse who was so good in cooking foods/desserts...we became best friends she taught me everything I wanted to learn!! She was so fabulous!! And I was a fast learner...right now I'm a pretty good cook...my husband/daughter are so proud of my cooking ability.

Nice to see your reply again/miss you,
yawares :smile:
Last edited by yawares on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

yawares wrote: Graham
Dear Graham,
I know that you're playful/love Thai food...soon I'll post a story about my dear friend in Illinois who taught me to cook yummy Thai foods. Please ask your wife to cook: Tod-Mun/Pork-Satay/Som-Tum/Por-pia with sweet/sour sauce/Yum-Yai . If she can't cook these foods then please take her to a restaurant and order these foods :thumbsup: ...you'll love love love...like you get love in your tummy!!!
Song for you/wife : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u21Kg_PzmMA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yawares :thumbsup:
Hi Yawares,

In English there is a proverb 'The way to a man's heart, is through his stomach' I'm sure it's true. :heart:

I don't eat meat so life is quite hard in Thailand. Almost everything contains fish sauce, shrimp paste or the like so I tend to go to J food restaurants. My wife is almost used to it now, the kids eat meat, especially Jimmy who won't eat rice or veg unless forced :guns:

You're lucky you got taught to cook properly! My wife has had to learn by her mistakes :jawdrop:

This weekend she is going to a Temple for meditation, so I will be off to Makro, get pizza bases, pasta, it's going to be an Italian weekend :clap:

Enjoy your meals too :tongue:

Graham
yawares

Post by yawares »

Hi Yawares,

In English there is a proverb 'The way to a man's heart, is through his stomach' I'm sure it's true. :heart:
yawares: not so true with Tep..he loves me because I'm a happy person/he first saw me when I was 12:
Stoney: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeHv2Wd5 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't eat meat so life is quite hard in Thailand. Almost everything contains fish sauce, shrimp paste or the like so I tend to go to J food restaurants. My wife is almost used to it now, the kids eat meat, especially Jimmy who won't eat rice or veg unless forced
yawares: Does she work? Must be hard for her to cook meat for kids and veg. for you. :thumbsup:

You're lucky you got taught to cook properly! My wife has had to learn by her mistakes :jawdrop:
yawares: I just showed my appreciation to their foods/desserts...and they taught me how to cook.

This weekend she is going to a Temple for meditation, so I will be off to Makro, get pizza bases, pasta, it's going to be an Italian weekend :clap:
:namaste: yawares: I truly admire her for going to a temple/meditation.
yawares: Bon Appetit!!

Enjoy your meals too :tongue:
yawares: I'll cook TOD-MUN/Somtum..yummy yummo!! :thumbsup:
Graham[/quote]
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Graham/wife,

You see any Guan-Yin temple in Rayong and Chanthaburi??

And the dragon tail at Wat Leng Hua Yi. Chanthaburi Province. The three positions of the dragon lies a land of rich fertile land of the Trade Shop. City Paetrew land of abundant vegetation with cereal and Chanthaburi. City of gemstone jewelry. Chinese temple in a public club like many things, such as Tao Heeuoeubre four large body of paper at the principal entrance door body 18 and the third body is made of paper, the saint from China Handsome god of good fortune (Chai Seng Eia) to. . the right of the principal body and the body of a god many Chinese motto. A large bell weight over a ton in the first three cards in the world around Bell Park philosophical text Maha Mitra formula that considered any of the toll. Like a Prayer, which has merit. There is also a sacred temple sanctuary such as parents Guan Yin Temple. Ti Temple Jang Sa Uang and Tea Garden etc.

May be both of you will enjoy " aaharn-jay" there.

How about Guan-yin Famille Rose-Enameled Porcelain Standing Guanyin

yawares..please say "HI" to your wife for me.
Last edited by yawares on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.