The results of sensuality

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
ringo

The results of sensuality

Post by ringo »

And what is the result of sensuality? One who wants sensuality produces a corresponding state of existence, on the side of merit or demerit.
-http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Greetings,

What is the detailed meaning of this statement?
With reference to the quoted statement how does one observe this phenomenon (the production of a corresponding state of existence)?
What is meant by 'one who wants sensuality'? Is not sensuality itself an extreme form of 'wanting'?
Has this been elaborated upon elsewhere in the canon?
Could someone please put forth an explanation, an analogy/simile or something so that my confusion and doubt with regard to this statement is dispelled?

Regards,
Ringo
santa100

Re: The results of sensuality

Post by santa100 »

The following link might be helpful: http://dharmafarer.org/wordpress/wp-con ... 3-piya.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On page 68, sensuality is defined:
"“Sensual desire,” kama, here may refer to “the defilement of sensuality” (kilesa,kama) or to “the object of sensuality” (vatthu,kama), ie either to subjective sensuality (arising in the mind: kama-c,chanda, kama,raga, etc) or to
objective defilement (arising through any of the five physical senses, ie kama,guna) (Nm 2). When both senses are
applicable, the word “sensuality” is used. See BDict: kama."

From the definition, the original statement is rendered as:
"Bhikshus, one having sensual desires is reborn as an individual into this or that existence depending
on what constitutes merit or on what constitutes demerit"
ringo

Post by ringo »

"Bhikshus, one having sensual desires is reborn as an individual into this or that existence depending
on what constitutes merit or on what constitutes demerit"
But how am I supposed to understand/see this? I believe that it is true out of respect for the Buddha but I cannot see it.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Well, think of of those complex quantum mechanics formulas. One would not be able understand their exact meanings unless s/he's willing to spend years and years studying physics in undergrad, grad, and post-doc programs. The Buddha's teaching is even deeper than that and there's no shortcut to attaining all the knowledge right away. Since I have not developed the Three Direct Knowledges ( http://tipitaka.wikia.com/wiki/Akankheyya_Sutta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), I'll place my trust on the Buddha's side for now because I believe He is the Fully Enlightened One, He knew and saw things that us uninstructed worldlings are yet able to know and see..
ringo

Post by ringo »

Friend santa100,

I agree with you. However, I only ask for an analogy, preferably from the pali canon, to get a better idea of the thing going on.
robertk

Post by robertk »

Beings who are not arahat ( or anagami) make two types of kamma, akusala and kusala. Both types bring results in kama-loka.
Robert
reflection

Post by reflection »

ringo wrote:
And what is the result of sensuality? One who wants sensuality produces a corresponding state of existence, on the side of merit or demerit.
-http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Greetings,

What is the detailed meaning of this statement?
With reference to the quoted statement how does one observe this phenomenon (the production of a corresponding state of existence)?
What is meant by 'one who wants sensuality'? Is not sensuality itself an extreme form of 'wanting'?
Has this been elaborated upon elsewhere in the canon?
Could someone please put forth an explanation, an analogy/simile or something so that my confusion and doubt with regard to this statement is dispelled?

Regards,
Ringo
It means, if you have a tendency to crave for sensuality, you'll be likely to be reborn in a sensual realm (like we are now). That's why a non-returner (one who has no more sensual desire) is called a non-returner: They don't return to the 5-senses realms.
alfredq

Post by alfredq »

If you have lust for form eg womanfolk you will be propelled into another existence according to your kamma depending on wether you see them as your mother or sex objects!One good kamma the other bad. :anjali:
R.B.LANDGE

Post by R.B.LANDGE »

sensuality is related to the five senses and their subjects. If any body has a carving to see beautiful things predominantly, then according to his karmas in life i.e. , good (merits) karmas and bad (demerit) karmas he will be reborned in another existence (beautiful, pleasing to eyes) where he can enjoy eye sense.If he has more good karmas in stock, then after death, as a result of his merits he will be reborned in higher realm where degree of enjoyment will be more than a person of comparatively less merits reborned in lesser realm. The same applies to remaining four senses. In short degree of sense enjoyment depends on merit or demerit and accordingly he gets quality of existence or health and environment/opportunity if he is reborned on earth, to enjoy that particular sense object. (so it is called his DESIRE produces that existence depending on his merits or demerits). According to law of karma whatever desire a person have, its quality of fulfillment depends upon his merits or demerits or at what extent he followed five precepts, his selfless actions to make others happy, contribution in religious field etc.

But nature of desires is such that they are never satisfied. Man is victimized with unending thrust of desire. Its like putting water in a pot having a small hole at bottom.