A Special Temple Cat Called "Liberation" in S.Korea !!

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
yawares

A Special Temple Cat Called "Liberation" in S.Korea !!

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

I would like to thank "plwk" who replied my article with 'the Buddhist cat', it sparks my curiosity to find the story...and here it goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNYnQHX3NSM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was a story in the paper about a special temple cat in South Korea. This cat was found as a kitten with burnt injuries 4 yrs ago by the abbot. The abbot saved it and gave it a Dharma name "Liberation". The abbot also gave the kitten 3 precepts for staying in the monastery:
1) to refrain from making noise in the temple
2) to refrain from eating meat and
3) to refrain from killing.

Amazingly the kitten could understand the instructions and has never violated the precepts since then. In addition, the cat spent hours everyday in the temple venerating the Buddha, leaving reluctantly only for its strictly vegetarian meal.

I love this cute Buddhist cat.
yawares
:heart:
BubbaBuddhist

Re: A Special Temple Cat Called "Liberation" in S.Korea !!

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

I've always found this cat interesting and I'm amazed at its behavior which does seem to give one food for thought . Unfortunately a cat is an obligate carnivore, so it obtains necessary nutrients from animal protein. Unless the monks are giving it nutritional supplements in addition to its vegetable diet it will suffer neurological problems up to and including blindness and eventual death unless it gets meat of some sort. My own cat watched this video with great interest.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
matais

Post by matais »

Cats can actually survive on a vegetarian diet, though they do require lots of dairy products in that case. It is interesting to see any cat doing so voluntarily though.
yawares

Post by yawares »

BubbaBuddhist wrote:I've always found this cat interesting and I'm amazed at its behavior which does seem to give one food for thought . Unfortunately a cat is an obligate carnivore, so it obtains necessary nutrients from animal protein. Unless the monks are giving it nutritional supplements in addition to its vegetable diet it will suffer neurological problems up to and including blindness and eventual death unless it gets meat of some sort. My own cat watched this video with great interest.

BB
Dear BB,
Very interesting information indeed :thumbsup: ...so true I saw cats jumped to catch birds/rats/fishes many times..they sure love to eat meat! Let us hope that this cute Buddhist cat is so free from sin that it'll be healthy forever to pray in front of the Buddha statue....amazing cat indeed!

Love this cat/your comment :heart:
yawares