YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Early Buddhism resources - Page 5 - Dhamma Wheel

Early Buddhism resources

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.
Sylvester

Re: Early Buddhism resources

Postby Sylvester » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:35 am

Last edited by Sylvester on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

piotr

Postby piotr » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:08 am

Hi Sylvester,

I don't know the author personally, so I can't really tell. As for the quote it seems to me that in his discussion of Poṭṭhapāda-sutta Polak equals ‘cetayati’ with ‘vitakketi’. I'm in the middle of his book, and I haven't read his discussion of ‘vitakka’ and ‘vicāra’ yet, so I can't really tell why he presumably equals those terms.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...

Travis

Postby Travis » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Last edited by Travis on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:09 am

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:09 pm

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:30 am

Hi dave.

That is an tenable argument. We could however adopt another textual criticism device to explain the presence of the arupa pericopes. They were simply inserted inadvertently during the course of "redaction". Ven Analayo identifies (in his Comparative Study of the MN) quite a number of doctrinally ill-fitting pericopes, but shows how easily a reciter could have mistakenly inserted into a sutta, due to the preceding sequence of words.

I think more needs to be done to study this popular conception of "lateness" of a sutta. It's far too vague a concept right now to be of genuine utility. Eg, the insertion of the arupa pericopes only demonstrates that a text suffered an incorrect addition sometime "late", but it says nothing about the original text. Excise the arupa pericope, and we're still left with the issue - is the root-text "late"?

Another example is the oft-cited observation that texts with long compounds are "late". I would not disagree that compounding is a feature of late Pali, but it simply shows that single words were strung together at a late point in the text's history. It does not say anything about when these single words first came to be recorded, and it certainly is not proof that the concepts/connotations of a text were first set down in compounds instead of single words.

Yet another example is the fact that the Pali Canon shows heavy Sanskritisation, and this is taken as proof of lateness. Norman argues that the fact that the Commentaries can actually preserve the Prakrit roots and meanings of the Sanskritised Pali indicates that the textual tradition goes much further back in time than the Sanskrit period. Sanskritisation, is at best, evidence that the morphology of Pali closed late, but it says nothing about the age of the concepts.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:49 am

"un"tenable, I'm sure you meant. Thank you for the depth of coverage, here.

:heart:

Travis

Postby Travis » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:12 pm

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:43 am

by Richard Salomon

by Daniel Boucher
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:19 am

by Marcus Bingenheimer.

:buddha1:

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:03 pm

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:44 pm

, by Paul Hacker

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:20 pm

, by Johannes Bronkhorst

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:06 pm

By Edward Fitzpatrick Crangle

Studies in Oriental Religions, Vol. 29 (1994)

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:01 pm

, by Johannes Bronkhorst

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:13 pm

, Tilmann Vetter

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:15 pm

, by Waruno Mahdi

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:50 pm

, by K.R. Norman

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:07 am

, by S. N. Dube.

On the doctrinal controversies reflected in the Kathavatthu.

___

On a meta- note, I wonder if this is a repeat, as it's an old book... perhaps some indexing here would help? I'll get to it later, perhaps, time permitting.

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Return to “Early Buddhism”