YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Samatha to See Gods. - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Samatha to See Gods.

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Son

Re: Samatha to See Gods.

Postby Son » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:34 pm

A seed sleeps in soil.
It's cold and alone, hopeless.
Until it blooms above.

Son

Postby Son » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:47 pm

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

Son

Postby Son » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:29 pm

Daily meditation in a nearby area where gods dwell has produced some encouragement. A devi who I hadn't seen before found what I was doing was interesting, and lead me and my friend back to her dwelling, a very mossy area covered by trees. I'm going to start trying to talk to her about meditation, and see if I can establish some understanding of the community she's in, or near. Any more experience or knowledge from teachers would be helpful.
A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

yawares

Postby yawares » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:46 pm

Son

Postby Son » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:32 pm

While visiting the area of the devas nearby our neighborhood last night, we had a startling encounter. It was 2 AM and I hadn't seen hardly any devas at all. The deva who greeted us on an earlier night was missing. In fact the only devas I saw were the ones living in the air above one section of the path, and even they didn't seem to be "awake." However, once we reached our destination at the creek and sat down, apparently an unseen deva spoke into my friend's ear (she of course couldn't hear it), but the message came out of her mouth repeatedly regardless. She sad, "they're coming." I agreed with her, and so we left. On the way back, as the lightning strikes had become silent, I saw an asura cloaked in shadow standing on the path before us. It bothered me as usual, but my friend stopped dead in her tracks and stared at it. I asked her if she could see it, and she said, "what is that shadow standing there? There's someone right there." She was terrified, and when it moved, she recoiled. I was surprised that she could see it, having no meditative experience whatsoever, but realized that she had been cultivating openness of mind for a long time, and the asura was obviously wanting her to see him. As it is known, devas and asuras can reveal themselves to people if they wish to. Provided they're not completely blind.

Afterward, she began seeing devas that I saw too, and the experience was very illuminating for her. However, she was terrified the entire time.
A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

whynotme

Postby whynotme » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:04 am

lol, very interesting experiences. I think that I learn very much of the dhamma but if I suddenly see those being, I may be scared as hell. I think it is of course beneficial for those beings and for you if there is a dhamma bridge between you. The Buddha taught that giving dhamma is the best of give alms, and the merit return to you for this life or next lives. If you think native Americans learnt a lot from them, then future generations can learn a lot from them when many people seeing devas as superior to human.

The human is superior to deva in some ways, I don't remember exactly but the Buddha taught that, again, I don't remember exactly whether the Buddha taught that or not.

Thank you for sharing experiences,
Regards.

PS: What are the size of those devas? I mean how tall are they, similar to human or much bigger? Do you ever see pretas?
Please stop following me

whynotme

Postby whynotme » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:19 am

And what about their photograph, did you try any? I think you should try infra red camera as well just in case they don't appear in normal camera. And what language do they use? English or not?

Regards
Please stop following me

Son

Postby Son » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:28 am

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

Dmytro

Postby Dmytro » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:30 am

Son

Postby Son » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:43 am

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

whynotme

Postby whynotme » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:55 am

Please stop following me

whynotme

Postby whynotme » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:36 am

Please stop following me

Son

Postby Son » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:30 pm

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

whynotme

Postby whynotme » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Please stop following me

Son

Postby Son » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:24 pm

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi Son,

Try the meditation below:

"[6] "Furthermore, you should recollect the devas: 'There are the devas of the Four Great Kings, the devas of the Thirty-three, the devas of the Hours, the Contented Devas, the devas who delight in creation, the devas who have power over the creations of others, the devas of Brahma's retinue, the devas beyond them. Whatever conviction they were endowed with that — when falling away from this life — they re-arose there, the same sort of conviction is present in me as well. Whatever virtue they were endowed with that — when falling away from this life — they re-arose there, the same sort of virtue is present in me as well. Whatever learning they were endowed with that — when falling away from this life — they re-arose there, the same sort of learning is present in me as well. Whatever generosity they were endowed with that — when falling away from this life — they re-arose there, the same sort of generosity is present in me as well. Whatever discernment they were endowed with that — when falling away from this life — they re-arose there, the same sort of discernment is present in me as well.' At any time when a disciple of the noble ones is recollecting the conviction, virtue, learning, generosity, and discernment found both in himself and the devas, his mind is not overcome with passion, not overcome with aversion, not overcome with delusion. His mind heads straight, based on the [qualities of the] devas. And when the mind is headed straight, the disciple of the noble ones gains a sense of the goal, gains a sense of the Dhamma, gains joy connected with the Dhamma. In one who is joyful, rapture arises. In one who is rapturous, the body grows calm. One whose body is calmed experiences ease. In one at ease, the mind becomes concentrated."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Son

Postby Son » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:31 am

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

whynotme

Postby whynotme » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:59 am

Just out of curiosity, do they cast shadow on the ground or another object? I mean are they transparent/opaque in visible light?

Regards.
Please stop following me

Son

Postby Son » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:28 am

A seed sleeps in soil.
Until it blooms above.

whynotme

Postby whynotme » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:12 am

Please stop following me