the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Re: the great rebirth debate

Post by Ceisiwr »

tiltbillings wrote:So, in other words Buddhadada's claim hold no water. Not surprised.

I dont know if this is where Ajahn Buddhadasa got it, the above post was from my own thought

metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Then your claim holds no water.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

tiltbillings wrote:Then your claim holds no water.
I assume you're referring to your definition of water. :popcorn:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Seeing the strange contortions you have gone through with religion, I would likely not refer to your definition of water, or much else.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Howdy clw,
clw_uk wrote:Hold rebirth view, you hold a speculative view, you dont/cant live the true holy life IMO
I think I understand you, but you've got it backwards. The correct expression of your outlook would be that you can't live the true holy life and still hold onto views.
Problem is, the "true holy life" as you seem to understand it only occurs with full enlightenment, after having done that which had to be done. So until then, we're bound to hold views.
Trying to see this through your eyes ...
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

So until then, we're bound to hold views.
Can't be helped, except as one moves along the path, one learns how to hold on to them not quite so so hard.[/quote].

Ben

Post by Ben »

tiltbillings wrote:
Can't be helped, except as one moves along the path, one learns how to hold on to them not quite so so hard.
Sadhu!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Guy

Post by Guy »

clw_uk wrote:Rebirth view is a view that requires blind belief, it isnt really that practical and isnt all that logical when compared to the rest of the teachings
If you could remember your past lives, just as clearly as you can remember what you did yesterday, would you consider your memories to be impractical and illogical?

Forgive me if I am getting the wrong impression, but by the way you talk about the subject it seems like you are clinging to a "blind belief" that rebirth is not literal and therefore interpret all Buddhist texts accordingly. Do you reject rebirth out-right, even if convincing evidence (perhaps even first hand memories) is presented to you? Or do you reject it on the basis that such evidence hasn't been seen by you yet and are willing to change your mind?

Perhaps the healthiest approach is to say "Maybe rebirth is true, maybe it's not. I don't know" until such time as you can remember your own past lives. But to reject it out-right seems just as foolish as "blind belief" to me.

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

tiltbillings wrote:
Can't be helped, except as one moves along the path, one learns how to hold on to them not quite so so hard.
Yes...eventually we let go of unnecessary ego-feeding baggage like religion and just do the work that the good doctor prescribed.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

pink_trike wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Yes...eventually we let go of unnecessary ego-feeding baggage like religion and beliefs re: imponderables like post-mortem rebirth and just do the work that the good doctor prescribed.
Last edited by pink_trike on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

pink_trike

Re: Accepting Rebirth

Post by pink_trike »

Pink_trike wrote: I'll trust Buddhadasa Bhikku's word. Perhaps if you read more of Buddhadasa Bhikku's writings you'll learn more about it.
Tilt wrote: - I have read enough to know that it is spin, not a reference to an actual text, which is no surprise.
Ah, ok...thanks for sharing that you know better than "Buddhada-da"...(a clever little name you've come up with that really doesn't seem to be right speech or appropriate respect, but perhaps you know better there too). :roll:
Last edited by pink_trike on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

pink_trike

Re: Accepting Rebirth

Post by pink_trike »

Ben wrote:Thanks Chris that is a brilliant list.
But as anyone who has a rudimentary familiarity with the nikayas, one knows it is just the tip of the iceberg.
Metta

Ben
A tiny tip of a massive iceberg that was first written somewhere between 400-800 years after Siddhārtha Gautama died - after much political jockeying over centuries, and that was repeatedly revised and added to over following centuries resulting in obvious inconsistencies. Some scholars doubt that much, if any, of the scriptures are actually the words of Siddhārtha Gautama, beyond elements of the Vinaya and Pitaka. This doesn't mean that there isn't some good stuff there, but there isn't consensus that Siddhārtha Gautama spoke it by any means. Religious faith and devotion doesn't erase this uncertainty, no matter how much effort and reverance is applied, and this inconvenient uncertainty is hardly grounds for building a concrete case that Siddhārtha Gautama taught literal rebirth. It seems to me, given this uncertainty, that anything beyond the 4NT and 8FP should be taken with a dose of "i don't know" salt. Common sense trumps religious faith.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

pink_trike wrote:Yes...eventually we let go of unnecessary ego-feeding baggage like religion and just do the work that the good doctor prescribed.
You're confusing the path with its fruits.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Jechbi wrote:
pink_trike wrote:Yes...eventually we let go of unnecessary ego-feeding baggage like religion and just do the work that the good doctor prescribed.
You're confusing the path with its fruits.
Path and fruit are one.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

"Suppose, monks, there is a man journeying on a road and he sees a vast expanse of water of which this shore is perilous and fearful, while the other shore is safe and free from danger. But there is no boat for crossing nor is there a bridge for going over from this side to the other. So the man thinks: 'This is a vast expanse of water; and this shore is perilous and fearful, but the other shore is safe and free from danger. There is, however, no boat here for crossing, nor a bridge for going over from this side to the other. Suppose I gather reeds, sticks, branches and foliage, and bind them into a raft.' Now that man collects reeds, sticks, branches and foliage, and binds them into a raft. Carried by that raft, laboring with hands and feet, he safely crosses over to the other shore. Having crossed and arrived at the other shore, he thinks: 'This raft, indeed, has been very helpful to me. Carried by it, laboring with hands and feet, I got safely across to the other shore. Should I not lift this raft on my head or put it on my shoulders, and go where I like?'

"What do you think about it, O monks? Will this man by acting thus, do what should be done with a raft?" — "No, Lord" — "How then, monks, would he be doing what ought to be done with a raft? Here, monks, having got across and arrived at the other shore, the man thinks: 'This raft, indeed, has been very helpful to me. Carried by it, and laboring with hands and feet, I got safely across to the other shore. Should I not pull it up now to the dry land or let it float in the water, and then go as I please?' By acting thus, monks, would that man do what should be done with a raft.

"In the same way, monks, have I shown to you the Teaching's similitude to a raft: as having the purpose of crossing over, not the purpose of being clung to.
Nyanaponika Thera wrote:He who is so much preoccupied with doctrinal controversy, furnishes, indeed, a fitting illustration of one who carries the raft of the Dhamma on his head or shoulders; and, in his case, this will be not after the crossing but before he has done, or even seriously tried, the fording of the stream. In fact, this famous parable of the raft will in most cases apply to those who, in the words of the Dhammapada (v. 85), "run up and down the river's bank" on this side of the stream, without daring or wishing to cross. We find them using the raft for a variety of purposes: they will adorn it and adore it, discuss it, compare it — indeed anything else than use it.
There are, on the other hand, those who wrongly believe that this parable justifies them in jettisoning the raft before they have used it, and that it invites them to let go the good teachings along with the false ones, even before they have benefited by the former and fully discarded the latter.