How do I ordain

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
retrofuturist

Re: How do I ordain

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
BuddhaSoup wrote:if we had a need to escape the discomfort, this was one discomfort that might separate "the farang men from the boys."
That made me laugh. Last time I slept at a wat, I was given a thin Mighty Morphing Power Rangers mat, and a Spongebob Squarepants pillow to sleep on.

:zzz:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Retro, I'm smiling at your story, and am thinking that the SpongeBob pillow might have sent me over the edge, fleeing from the Wat.....

with Metta,

Mike
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

Thank you friends :anjali:

Your story have been inspiration. Lot of good advice in here. I am happy I raised the question.

I am originally from east asia and recently came down to sri lanka for work. Mostly for i wanted to get away from my home life because i had problems. I could not take it anymore so I left.

My friends here in Sri Lanka advice me Thai forest is good for meditation. They say it is better than sri lanka for foreign monks. Traditionally we are not very different because we are all asian. So I hope of no problems.

I can be in physically bad conditions. I did not have great comfort from small days and I am very used to it.

But I am 49 years. Is that a problem since I am old? I really hope not. I hope to start small and go step by step in a monastery. If I can not do it I will go back to sri lanka to my friends. It is better to try and see.

:anjali:
Last edited by BlueLotus on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

manas wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:...
But Good on you, and May you not again return to this world!
This topic once again sparks a longing in me also. When my (very dear to me) youngest child turns 18 years old, I'm outta here! In the meantime, my children need my care, guidance and attention, so I just have to endure lay-life and practice as thoroughly as I can...and try to stay as 'dust-free' as possible.

metta
I have children too. Two of them. They are over 18 and can handle on their own now. One reason why I left.

I hope you will get chance to ordain too. :candle:
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

retrofuturist wrote: I was given a thin Mighty Morphing Power Rangers mat, and a Spongebob Squarepants pillow to sleep on.
:jumping: :rofl: :twothumbsup: :D

At 49 i like Spongebob Squarepants cartoons. I am going to miss it
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

BlueLotus wrote:Thank you friends :anjali:

I can be in physically bad conditions. I did not have great comfort from small days and I am very used to it.

But I am 49 years. Is that a problem since I am old? I really hope not. I hope to start small and go step by step in a monastery. If I can not do it I will go back to sri lanka to my friends. It is better to try and see.

Blue, I don't think that your age will be an issue, as I was, ahem, about your age when I ordained as a samanera. So much depends on the Abbot; some are so kind that they will take in and ordain nearly anyone who expresses a sincere desire to train and become a monk, so long as the Vinaya rules are followed. Other Abbots can be strict, and refuse older folks, those with illness, and even dogs dropped off at the temple, as they don't want the cost burden of caring for older or infirm beings. As a general rule, and certainly at my Wat, the Abbot took all creatures in, furry or not.

49 is also young enough, that you'd have many years of vassa to complete and still be only mildly middle aged. (After passing 50, I happily adopted this view. When I was 25, anyone my parent's age was 'decrepit' .....:) At 50, I had raised my children, and my life has opened up a bit in the sense that I can be a temporary homeleaver and not leave anyone behind. There are real advantages to being of your age when ordaining, as the issues or obstructions that would hinder a young man of 25 may not be present with someone 50 and having accumulated some wisdom and lived life a bit.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

BlueLotus wrote: But I am 49 years. Is that a problem since I am old? I really hope not. I hope to start small and go step by step in a monastery. If I can not do it I will go back to sri lanka to my friends. It is better to try and see.

There can be issues of adjusting to the life style due to deeply formed habits of speech and body, there is no reason you can not ordain due to your age.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I'm wondering who in this forum feels the spark here. Maybe I start a topic to do a small inventory here of the people that have the wish to ordain. What do you think? :candle:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Buddho

Post by Buddho »

Hi friends,

My brother and I are leaving for Thailand on Sept. 5th. I'm looking to ordain and he is just exploring Buddhism. I've spent 2 months at a Wat in California and let me tell you becoming and staying a monk is definitely not an easy thing. But for those that want to put an end to their suffering, it is definitely the path to be walked. I'm fortunate to have 2 uncles that live in Thailand who will be showing us around. We will be in and around Chiang Mai.

I would suggest you go out to Thailand and spend some time at different Wats to get a feeling of which one you like. I think the most important thing is to find a good teacher that can guide you. Once you find which Wat you like then you can ask the Abbot for ordination. And yes some places will not ordain those who are older in age but I believe most temples will. As for giving up your belongings some people will give everything up and others will hold on to some things before they are completely sure that this is what they want. Best of luck to you. With Metta.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Why He became a monk, Bhante Mark Shares his story WOB 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7A2A_K6nW4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The first episode of our Mini Show "Words of The Buddha". We are joined with fully ordained Buddhist monk Bhante Mark from the Wat Napahpong temple in Bangkok Thailand to talk about Buddha and Buddhism.

The questions we cover in this video are:

- Why did you (Bhante Mark) become a Monk?
- Why Did you Choose this Temple?
- Who Was Buddha?
- How did Buddha Overcome Birth, Aging & Death?
- What are the 4 Noble Truths?
- How did Buddha Attain this Wisdom?

A nice video series.
:buddha2:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations