The obligatory Dhamma themed movie thread

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
chownah

Re: The obligatory Dhamma themed movie thread

Post by chownah »

Mr. Quinn (aka Blu5monkey) has released his latest work titled "The Adventures of Mr Clay Pt:2" and frankly I can honestly say that for me all expectations have been exceeded. The emerging artist has shown considerable deepening in the use of characters and emotional content.....but beware......this is not the frolick in the meadow which you might have expected to result from Pt:1....no indeed. I don't want to spoil the show but I do advice Little Bow Peep that she may have a very long wait.
chownah
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

INTERNATIONAL BUDDHIST FILM FESTIVAL 2012 BANGKOK TRAILER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l3H_U3H ... re=g-all-u" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quite a few interesting movies presented there.

:popcorn:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Some nice documentaries available online:

DHAMMA DANA - THERAVADA MONASTIC TRADITION IN MYANMAR

Filmed entirely in Myanmar, Dhamma Dana delves deep into the Golden Land's monastic tradition and reveals how the Burmese Buddhists find inner freedom. The film presents the Dhamma with a serene rhythm; documenting a powerfully peaceful ancient tradition that few experience first hand.

http://vimeo.com/13815026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THE TEMPLE OF THE TIGERS

Award winning Animal Planet documentary.

http://vimeo.com/2331034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WALK WITH THE MASTER - THE STORY OF THE SITES OF THE BUDDHA

MGPL has produced a 48 minutes documentary, Walk With The Master - the story of the sites of the Buddha. Our approach to the program is to detail each site associated with the life of the Buddha. We will be recalling incidents and stories associated with the site. This will help bring the site to life.

http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play/80 ... The-Buddha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ytrog

Ron Fricke: SAMSARA

Post by Ytrog »

I saw this movie anouncement/trailer on a site I frequent: http://vimeo.com/46273869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the summary:
Expanding on the themes they developed in BARAKA (1992) and CHRONOS (1985), SAMSARA explores the wonders of our world from the mundane to the miraculous, looking into the unfathomable reaches of man’s spirituality and the human experience. Neither a traditional documentary nor a travelogue, SAMSARA takes the form of a nonverbal, guided meditation. Through powerful images, the film illuminates the links between humanity and the rest of nature, showing how our life cycle mirrors the rhythm of the planet.
I think it will be a beautiful movie. :)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
daverupa

Re: Ron Fricke: SAMSARA

Post by daverupa »

It would be interesting to compare with Koyaanisqatsi.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
yawares

Please Tell Me Your Favorite Movies/Movie Stars!!

Post by yawares »

:heart: Dear Members :heart:

I owned almost all DVD-movies of Harrison Ford/Richard Gere/Michael Douglas/Bruce Willis/Arnold 'Terminator'/Alec Baldwin/Paul Walker/Chris Evans/Ben Afleck.[/color]

Yesterday I watched a very good movie PAPARAZZI : Action film star Bo Laramie (Cole Hauser) seems to have it all: beautiful wife, adoring son and a Malibu beach house. But his newfound fame comes with a price? he's the target of paparazzi bent on making Bo and his loved ones fodder for the tabloids. Led by a photographer, Rex (Tom Sizemore), the paparazzi become increasingly relentless, until one night their ruthless actions turn Bo and his family into victims of a terrible accident. With the police unable to help, Bo seeks vengeance on his own? and the paparazzi start falling...one by one.[/color]

Old movies that I like very much: Roman Holiday/South Pacific/Ben Hur/Planet Of The Apes/Blue Hawaii/G.I.BLUES etc.

:heart: Please tell me your favorite movies/movie stars,
yawares
:heart:
Mr Man

Re: Please Tell Me Your Favorite Movies/Movie Stars!!

Post by Mr Man »

My favorite movies are all oldies -
1: Some like it hot
2: High Noon
3: Casablanca
Modus.Ponens

Re: Please Tell Me Your Favorite Movies/Movie Stars!!

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I like

1st- American Beauty
2nd- Fight Club
3rd- Inception

I also like Contact, Idioterne, Dead Poets Society, The Lord of the Rings, Cube, Spider, Solaris, The Devil's Advocate, 12 Monkeys, Inglorious Basterds, Amélie, Borat (the best comedy movie ever made), Bruno, V for Vendetta, Pulp Fiction, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Snatch, American History X and Big Fish.

Movie stars: I like Jack Nicholson, Anthony Hopkins, Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, Natalie Portman, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Samuel L. Jackson, Gwyneth Paltrow, etc.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Anybody have seen this film? Looks somehow very tibetan.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31WEBwFpULg

"The Fourth Dimension," it's a collection of three films. The second one (Chronoeye) is the best out of three, and I think worth watching... you can skip to it (29:33). The guy wasn't happy even while looking through the eye of Jesus.
alan...

Post by alan... »

so are we ever going to get a good quality "life of buddha" film that is a regular movie (ie: not a documentary)?
lilawheel

Post by lilawheel »

The Big Lebowski is subject of a new book--it's more Mahayana. 'The Dude Abides'
alan...

Post by alan... »

don't know if anyone knows but there's a great cartoon buddha movie called "legend of buddha" out right now that is really great.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

I recently watched the new film by Ron Fricke, Samsara, and it has its fair share of Dhamma. It has no narration, no dialogue, but plenty to say through its footage.

Baraka, by the same creator, is also highly recommended.
:candle: :buddha1: :candle:
alan...

Post by alan... »

Benjamin wrote:I recently watched the new film by Ron Fricke, Samsara, and it has its fair share of Dhamma. It has no narration, no dialogue, but plenty to say through its footage.

Baraka, by the same creator, is also highly recommended.
i've been interested in this movie but wary as from the trailer i don't see dhamma. can you specify what is dhamma in it?