Early Buddhism resources

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Sylvester

Re: Early Buddhism resources

Post by Sylvester »

This is enough to make one weep ... with joy!

Not for the faint-hearted.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Sylvester wrote:

This is enough to make one weep ... with joy!

Not for the faint-hearted.
Joy indeed. I found it real page turner.
metta
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Burning Yourself: Paṭicca Samuppāda as a Description of the Arising of a False Sense of Self Modeled on Vedic Rituals, by Linda Blanchard

Journal of The Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies, Vol. 2 May 2012

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Handful of Leaves
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

ancientbuddhism wrote:Prakrit Versus Sanskrit: A Case Study...
:reading:

"Thus to conclude... Pali, Ardha-Magadhi, etc. developed into newer and newer forms of dialects and languages till they reached the present stage of vernaculars of northern and western India, while Sanskrit on the other hand remains alive like a barren woman cursing the children of others, like a museum piece for most of the Indians today and at the same time like a beautiful toy-dog for a handful who use it to entice as well as to frighten the innocent."

:lol:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

daverupa wrote:
ancientbuddhism wrote:Prakrit Versus Sanskrit: A Case Study...
:reading:

"Thus to conclude... Pali, Ardha-Magadhi, etc. developed into newer and newer forms of dialects and languages till they reached the present stage of vernaculars of northern and western India, while Sanskrit on the other hand remains alive like a barren woman cursing the children of others, like a museum piece for most of the Indians today and at the same time like a beautiful toy-dog for a handful who use it to entice as well as to frighten the innocent."

:lol:
I agree with your emoticon thingie; this is one of the sillier things I have read in a while.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
ancientbuddhism

Teaching the Abhidharma in the Heaven of the Thirty-three, The Buddha and his Mother, by Anālayo

Journal of the Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies, Vol. 2, May 2012

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Designations of Ancient Sri Lankan Buddhism in the Chinese Tripiṭaka, by Chuan Cheng

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Scribal and Authorial Openings in Theravāda manuscripts: Evidence from the Nevill Collection, by Kate Crosby

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

A Geographical Perspective on Sectarian Affiliations of the Ekottarika Āgama in Chinese Translation (T 125), by Tse-fu Kuan

A Handful of Leaves