The Temptation of Isisanga/The Arahant Family

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
yawares

The Temptation of Isisanga/The Arahant Family

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

I love this cute Jataka very much. This happy Sunday is so right for me to introduce this beautiful story to you all.

Addicted to love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcATvu5f9vE

The Temptation of Isisanga
[Translated from the Pali by Dr.C.B.Varma, D Litt]

Once upon a time there lived a young man in an erudite family. He was well-versed in various arts and crafts. Yet, he did not lead a life of a house-holder as he preferred to become an ascetic. So, he built a hermitage on the bank of the river Ganga in the Himalaya and lived there.

One day, a doe drank water in the place where the ascetic had just taken bath. The water there was mingled with the ascetic’s semen. So, no sooner than she drank the water she conceived the ascetic’s baby. The ascetic soon noticed the changes taking place in the doe’s body, and knew what had happened to her. So, he took care of her. In course of time, the doe delivered a male baby, who was called Isisanga.

The sage brought him up with fatherly affection and when the boy was young enough to learn he taught him spiritual practices, too. The boy was very receptive. Soon he proved his excellence in meditation and other spiritual pursuits.

Realising his abilities and potentialities the sage cautioned him by saying,

"In this Himalayan region the women are as fair as flowers

But they may be devastating if you fall in their powers. "

After imparting these instructions the ascetic died.

By and by, Isisanga became an ardent ascetic and perfected the most arduous penance and virtuousity, which shook the Sakka’s abode. Shaken and frightened by the practices of the young lad, Sakka sent the most gorgeous and voluptuous heavenly nymph to the young ascetic to entice him. Her name was Alambusa. Though a subject of the heavenly king, she pleaded exemption from carrying out such an order as she considered it to be a heinous act. Yet, insisted by her lord, she descended the earth with all her beauty and exuberance to charm and seduce Isisanga. She made a sudden appearance before him when he was walking to the river to have his holy bath. Dazzled at such a heavenly beauty and allured by her elegance he forgot everything but to remember to sing every word of praise for her voluptuous looks right from her hair to her feet. Knowing that she was just about to succeed in her mission, she did not waste a single moment and invited him to follow her by her amorous glance. She then entered his cottage. The young ascetic, unmindful of all his vows, tailed her inside and plunged into her embrace.

When the ascetic could arouse from her embrace, three years had elapsed; and all his spiritual achievements had vanished. Thus, realising his irreparable losses he started wailing. The kind nymph then revealed her mission with an apology and shared his mourning. The ascetic wore no malice against her and pardoned her.

After the conclusion of her mission, she boarded the golden chariot and flew back to her heavenly abode. When congratulated and commended by Sakka for having accomplished her task so meticulously, she was not pleased to the surprise of the lord of the devas. Further, when Sakka offered her to ask for any boon she said,

"O Lord of Heaven! If thou desire any boon to bestow

Then never ask me to make any saint violate his vow."

Note: The old ascetic is identified with the Bodhisatta.

See Alambusa Jataka Pali No. 523.

Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya :heart:
yawares

Re: The Temptation of Isisanga/The Arahant Family

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

This beautiful Texas bright sunshiny day, I have a super amazing story that impress me so much..I'm dying to share it with you all.

Sunshiny Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Dbh3bKdwA

:candle: Thera Dhammika:The Arahant Family :candle:
[Translated from the Pali by Daw Mya Tin,M.A.]

While residing at the Jetavana monastery, the Buddha uttered Verse (84) of this book, with reference to Thera Dhammika.

Dhammika lived in Savatthi with his wife. One day, he told his pregnant wife that he wished to become a bhikkhu; his wife pleaded with him to wait until after the birth of their child. When the child was born, he again requested his wife to let him go; again, she pleaded with him to wait until the child could walk. Then Dhammika thought to himself, "It will be useless for me to ask my wife for her approval to join the Order; I shall work for my own liberation." Having made a firm decision, he left his house to become a bhikkhu. He took a subject of meditation from the Buddha and practised meditation ardently and diligently and soon became an arahat.

Some years later, he visited his house in order to teach the Dhamma to his son and his wife. His son entered the Order and he too attained arahatship. The wife then thought, "Now that both my husband and my son have left the house, I'd better leave it, too." With this thought she left the house and became a bhikkhuni; eventually, she too attained arahatship.

At the congregation of the bhikkhus, the Buddha was told how Dhammika became a bhikkhu and attained arahatship, and how through him his son and his wife also attained arahatship. To them the Buddha said, "Bhikkhus, a wise man does not wish for wealth and prosperity by doing evil, whether it is for his own sake or for the sake of others. He only works for his own liberation from the round of rebirths (samsara) by comprehending the Dhamma and living according to the Dhamma."

Then the Buddha spoke in verse as follows:

Verse 84: For his own sake or for the sake of others, he does no evil; nor does he wish for sons and daughters or for wealth or for a kingdom by doing evil; nor does he wish for success by unfair means; such a one is indeed virtuous, wise and just.

:heart: Love Buddha's dhamma :heart:
yawares/sirikanya :anjali:
manas

Post by manas »

yawares wrote:Dear Members,

The Temptation of Isisanga
[Translated from the Pali by Dr.C.B.Varma, D Litt]

Thanks for sharing that, Yawares. It reminds me of a few things. The effort of the Bodhisatta in not ever giving up, even when he sometimes made mistakes. Also his kind and forgiving nature in not harbouring any grudge. And the goddess concerned, although what she did was not right, learned something too - she made a wholesome resolve for the future.

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Dear Manas,

I love your comment :heart: ...since The old ascetic is identified with the Bodhisatta...So I guess the young ascetic in love must be the future Rahula..." The Buddha's Son " ????

yawares???? :thinking:
manas

Post by manas »

yawares wrote:Dear Manas,

I love your comment :heart: ...since The old ascetic is identified with the Bodhisatta...So I guess the young ascetic in love must be the future Rahula..." The Buddha's Son " ????

Oh I see, I got that mixed up. (oops.) In any case, when I consider how difficult and how much energy it takes just to tread this Noble Eightfold Path all the way to realization, then I think to myself: how much more effort and energy must it take to discover the Truths and the Path? We have it laid out for us, but the Buddha found it. And so, I do think it was the result of many lifetimes of striving, because it's just so profound and hard to see. Even with all the information available, I'm struggling to see it properly! That is another reason why the Buddha is so worthy of our homage, why I bow down to him, literally. And sometimes I think about how hard he must have worked in many, many lives to build up the qualities required; and then, in his final birth, he gave the Truths he had discovered with so much effort, to Humanity, freely, as a gift.

So yes, I also love the Buddha, although I can only meet him via his teachings. And despite not always being the perfect disciple. But I strive onwards.

To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

No surprise that Isisanga succumbed.

Rūpādivaggo An 1.1

1.Thus have I heard at one time the Blessed One was staying at Sāvatthi in the Jeta Grove in Anāthapindika’s monastery.Then the Blessed One addressed the monks “Monks.” “Yes, Lord,” those monks replied to the Blessed One. Then the Blessed One said
Monks, I do not know of any form that takes hold of a man’s mind like the form of a woman. A woman’s form, monks, takes hold of a man’s mind like no other form.”
2. “Monks, I do not know of any sound that takes hold of a man’s mind like the sound of a woman. A woman’s sound, monks, takes hold of a man’s mind like no other sound.”
3. “Monks, I do not know of any scent that takes hold of a man’s mind like the scent of a woman. A woman’s scent, monks, takes hold of a man’s mind like no other scent.”
4. “Monks, I do not know of any taste that takes hold of a man’s mind like the taste of a woman. A woman’s taste, monks, takes hold of a man’s mind like no other taste.”
5. “Monks, I do not know of any touch that takes hold of a man’s mind like the touch of a woman. A woman’s touch, monks, takes hold of a man’s mind like no other touch.”
6. “Monks, I do not know of any form that takes hold of a woman’s mind like the form of a man. A man’s form, monks, takes hold of a woman’s mind like no other form.”
7. “Monks, I do not know of any sound that takes hold of a woman’s mind like the sound of a man. A man’s sound, monks, takes hold of a woman’s mind like no other sound.”
8. “Monks, I do not know of any scent that takes hold of a woman’s mind like the scent of a man. A man’s scent, monks, takes hold of a woman’s mind like no other scent.”
9. “Monks, I do not know of any taste that takes hold of a woman’s mind like the taste of a man. A man’s taste, monks, takes hold of a woman’s mind like no other taste.”
10. “Monks, I do not know of any touch that takes hold of a woman’s mind like the touch of a man. A man’s touch, monks, takes hold of a woman’s mind like no other touch.”
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
yawares

Post by yawares »

manas wrote:
yawares wrote:Dear Manas,

Oh I see, I got that mixed up. (oops.) In any case, when I consider how difficult and how much energy it takes just to tread this Noble Eightfold Path all the way to realization, then I think to myself: how much more effort and energy must it take to discover the Truths and the Path? We have it laid out for us, but the Buddha found it. And so, I do think it was the result of many lifetimes of striving, because it's just so profound and hard to see. Even with all the information available, I'm struggling to see it properly! That is another reason why the Buddha is so worthy of our homage, why I bow down to him, literally. And sometimes I think about how hard he must have worked in many, many lives to build up the qualities required; and then, in his final birth, he gave the Truths he had discovered with so much effort, to Humanity, freely, as a gift.

So yes, I also love the Buddha, although I can only meet him via his teachings. And despite not always being the perfect disciple. But I strive onwards.

Dear Manas,

You know? ...I think the same way as you do about the Buddha...how many many lifetimes to collect ultimate 'parami' etc.

But I think that you might meet an arahant or a paccekabuddha or a Buddha in your past-lives...that's why you have this ultimate admiration for the Buddha....and I think you are on your very long long journey to NIBBANA ...just like me/Tep/my daughter and all my kallayanamittas(my dear dhamma-friends).

Truly appreciate your comment/please think of me as a kallayanamitta,
yawares :heart: :anjali:
yawares

Post by yawares »

[quote="pegembara"]No surprise that Isisanga succumbed.

Rūpādivaggo An 1.1

Dear Pegembara,

Yes..no surprise indeed...Love is so powerful/a many splendored thing!!

:heart: Love is a many splendored thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98pqW8h-sn4

And it's so hard to give up love...just thinking about losing my husband/daughter for whatever reason I just want to cry...love is like the biggest thorn/arrow that pierce right into my heart..no escape...just like a Thornbird...A mythical bird that searches for thorn trees from the day it is hatched. When it finds the perfect thorn, it impales itself, and sings the most beautiful song ever heard as it dies. ( The ThornBird..TV mini series ...is very good/sad love story)

Truly appreciate your "Rūpādivaggo An 1.1",
yawares still in the forest of thorns ..hoping me/hubby/daughter can be an arahant family someday in the far far future...we always do meritorious deeds together . :jumping: