Meditation Experience Guidance

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Robert

Re: Meditation Experience Guidance

Post by Robert »

Cittasanto: I shall add Ajahn Sumedho's books in my "to buy" list! The concept of sound is interesting, and it would be nice if you could share any sort of instruction in the matter. Just for informative knowledge, and whether this has any other benefits than anapanasati for example? I do not plan on changing to a different form of meditation, as I think it is important to stick to one subject until mastered before moving on to something different.

I found the other book you were mentioning which is The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance by Edward Salim Michaėl. This also seems interesting and valuable to check out.

Marc: Can you perhaps indicate where one could find out more about this type of concentration, which is found in vedic yogic meditation?

Thanks for your contributions guys!
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

[quote="Robert"]Cittasanto: I shall add Ajahn Sumedho's books in my "to buy" list! The concept of sound is interesting, and it would be nice if you could share any sort of instruction in the matter. Just for informative knowledge, and whether this has any other benefits than anapanasati for example? I do not plan on changing to a different form of meditation, as I think it is important to stick to one subject until mastered before moving on to something different.

Yes we should be well grounded in one techneque....
Although some of Ajahn Sumedhos books are to buy, there are free distribution also, you can easily download them! from the forest sangha publications site
http://forestsanghapublications.org/viewAuthor.php?id=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I thing the best book for you interest in the sound, is Intuitive Awareness, although as a side point, Mindfulness, and the Four noble truths are both well worth the read. and yes that is the author, I actually found his name as I was looking for the books by ajahn sumedho. "Edward Salim Michael's book : The way of inner vigilance (republished in 2010 with the new title : the Law of attention, Nada Yoga and the way of inner vigilance"" and does answer your question to marc as this is from that tradition or around the same area at least.
I found it interesting although quite new age in appearance but this was certainly due to the writers way of writing rather than content matter, purely surface.

for general purposes I will call it non-sensation rather than sound of silance or nada, as it can be observed through each sense and the techneque can be applied to each.
as you are watching your breath, if the non-sensation arises keep watching the breath, except allow the non-sensation to be the back drop between the breaths, using it to notice the space between.
I think that should cover the full instruction I heard, although as it was on a retreat the instruction was longer.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Robert wrote: Marc: Can you perhaps indicate where one could find out more about this type of concentration, which is found in vedic yogic meditation?
The most reliable source, imo, for using the Nada sound as a focal point would be Ajahn Sumedho or another of the Abhayagiri monastics. I believe his book 'The way it is" & "The sound of silence" talk about this... both are available online for free I believe, check the link Citta gave you. You can also contact Abhayagiri (Abhayagiri.org) directly and ask where to find specific teachings. I don't think using the Nada sound was a method taught by the Buddha (although im unsure), so it may be difficult to find any sort of systematized method to using it.

On a side note, having experience with Yogic and Buddhist meditation, I would not recommend switching to Yogic style meditation... The Buddhist system is, imo, vastly superior... and it seems like you are doing well at working towards Right Concentration (Jhana) with the method you are using, so it would be logical to cultivate and refine your current practice. That being said, if you still want to learn the Yogic meditation, the only teacher I consider to be reliable is Baba Hari Dass (mountmadonna.org)

My suggestion to you would be to contact a teacher that is experienced with Jhana, develop a relationship and work with them to further your practice... there really is no substitute for an experienced teacher. Thanissaro Bhikkhu (watmetta.org) is available by phone from 6-7 PST @ 619-813-8461 and Richard Shankman (mettadharma.org) is also available for phone interviews @ [email protected]. If you contact Richard, let me know.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

hi Marc,
I could not find the free distribution version of the sound of silence, the two books are different, do you know of a link?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Citta, you're right as far I can tell there is no free distro of that book. I apologize.

a Ajahn Sumedho on the Sound of Silence:
http://diydharma.org/listening-sound-si ... hn-sumedho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Marc
more talks can be found from Ajahn Sumedho in the link I gave above regarding the books, Abhiyagiri may send people to either Amaravati or Forest sangha publications though as Ajahn Sumedho was the abbot there.

but, the closest I know regarding the Buddha teaching this is passages on clear knowing, and "in the heard there is only the heard" I doubt it was actually taught directly by the Buddha in the way Ajahn Sumedho does, although just to note (not thinking you or anyone is suggesting this) that doesn't mean that it isn't useful as a tool particularly for people with tinitus.

John Stuart Mill
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

The great thing about nada/sound of silence is that it becomes louder the more concentration you have and provides useful feedback loop for your meditation. It is reassuring to hear the celestial sounding noise get louder as you meditate.

However, I did not find it skillful for maintaining mindfulness during the day. I had difficulty hearing the nada sound if there was noise around, like in the shower or in traffic.

Supposedly, it is possible develop this to the point where you can hear the nada sound in noisy situations.

The below book has a couple of good chapters on it including how to maintain your attention to the nada sound throughout the day.

The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance
http://www.amazon.com/The-Law-Attention ... 1594773041" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;