Atheist Quotes

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.

Re: Hot Topics: Atheist Quotes

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Tue May 01, 2012 10:51 am

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. — Friedrich Nietzsche

Lighthouses are more helpful than churches. — Benjamin Franklin
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Ron-The-Elder

Re: Hot Topics: Atheist Quotes

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Tue May 01, 2012 2:38 pm

Woody Allen
Director/Actor/Writer
"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss Bank." Selections from the Allen Notebooks," in New Yorker (5 Nov. 1973)
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Ron-The-Elder

Re: Atheist Quotes

Postby David2 » Tue May 01, 2012 3:27 pm

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”
Chinese proverb

I think this applies very good to Buddhism.
The Buddha taught us how to fish, which is such a great merit, but we still have to do the fishing ourselves.

(Ok, I admit the proverb does not fit in very well with the 1st precept. :P)
David2

Postby polarbuddha101 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:04 pm

More from The Quotable Atheist compiled by Jack Huberman

Jean Rostand- French biologist, philosopher, anti-nuclear and anti-death penalty activist (1894-1977) "Kill a man, one is a murderer, kill a million, a conqueror, kill them all, a God."

Gene Roddenberry- creator of Star Trek (1921-1991) "We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."

John D. Rockefeller- (1839-1937) devout Northern Baptist. In 1911, the U.S. Supreme Court held that his company, Standard Oil, originated in illegal monopoly practices (getting secret rebates from the railroads, threatening to bankrupt his rivals, then buying them out). "The good Lord gave me my money."

Tom Robbins- American novelist (1936-) "Human beings were invented by water as a means of transporting itself from one place to another."

Jules Renard- french writer (1864-1910) "I don't know if god exists, but it would be better for his reputation if he didn't."

Richard Feynman- American physicist (1918-1988) " I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong . . . I don't feel frightened by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell."

Hope you enjoyed
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
polarbuddha101

Postby Kare » Wed May 02, 2012 5:59 pm

Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Postby Buckwheat » Sat May 05, 2012 10:19 pm

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness. ~Dalai Lama
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat

Postby Ben » Mon May 07, 2012 1:10 am

I think its time we closed this thread.
kind regards,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Open Dhamma Hot Topics