pizza a vegetable, tomato a vegetable... only in USA

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Cittasanto

pizza a vegetable, tomato a vegetable... only in USA

Post by Cittasanto »

OK I am half joking, a tomato is a fruit (look at the seeds) but it is used as a vegetable so the usa courts deamed it a vegetable :juggling:
but congress deeming a pizza a vegetable is stupid! not just stupid, but completely missing what a pizza is...
here is a reuters article on the childhood obesity fight in the USA I just saw
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/ ... ED20120427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I watched the video linked in the top left hand corner
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Re: pizza a vegetable, tomato a vegetable... only in USA

Post by Ben »

Thanks Cittasanto.
You should check out Jamie Oliver's documentary series on his 'food revolution' in the United States.

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I saw part of one, turned off when he started crying :thinking:

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

You say tom-ay-toh I say tom-ah-toh...
:thinking:
Mike
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Cittasanto wrote:OK I am half joking, a tomato is a fruit (look at the seeds) but it is used as a vegetable so the usa courts deamed it a vegetable :juggling:
but congress deeming a pizza a vegetable is stupid! not just stupid, but completely missing what a pizza is...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/ ... ED20120427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your post betrays a basic misunderstanding of how the american system of government works. The government exists only to implement policy as determined by the corporations and articulated by their lobbyists.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

m0rl0ck wrote:Your post betrays a basic misunderstanding of how the american system of government works. The government exists only to implement policy as determined by the corporations and articulated by their lobbyists.
There are alternatives ... of sorts. Here' s a view of how the wannabe-US-government would like to work:
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/09/02-0

:spy:
Kim

okay okay okay ... sorry, Cittasanto, for dragging this even further OT ...
:focus:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

m0rl0ck wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:OK I am half joking, a tomato is a fruit (look at the seeds) but it is used as a vegetable so the usa courts deamed it a vegetable :juggling:
Your post betrays a basic misunderstanding of how the american system of government works. The government exists only to implement policy as determined by the corporations and articulated by their lobbyists.
your post betrays a basic misunderstanding of what I said!

John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
m0rl0ck wrote:Your post betrays a basic misunderstanding of how the american system of government works. The government exists only to implement policy as determined by the corporations and articulated by their lobbyists.
There are alternatives ... of sorts. Here' s a view of how the wannabe-US-government would like to work:
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/09/02-0

:spy:
Kim

okay okay okay ... sorry, Cittasanto, for dragging this even further OT ...
:focus:
No Worries I find it amusing that any government would want to dictate what nature is, let alone morph what things are to suit.
Science classifies; politicians distort.

BTW, I saw an interesting quote from Cicero saying politicians are excreted, not born :)

John Stuart Mill
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Cittasanto wrote: No Worries I find it amusing that any government would want to dictate what nature is, let alone morph what things are to suit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Indiana Pi Bill is the popular name for bill #246 of the 1897 sitting of the Indiana General Assembly, one of the most famous attempts to establish scientific truth by legislative fiat. Despite that name, the main result claimed by the bill is a method to square the circle, rather than to establish a certain value for the mathematical constant π (pi), the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. However, the bill does contain text that appears to dictate various incorrect values of π, such as 3.2 (when 3.1 is closer, with π = 3.14159265...).

The bill never became law, due to the intervention of a mathematics professor who happened to be present in the legislature.
:anjali:
Mike
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

LOL, I was thinking this morning vegetarians can now eat Peperoni Pizza as it is legally a vegetable :coffee:
mikenz66 wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: No Worries I find it amusing that any government would want to dictate what nature is, let alone morph what things are to suit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Indiana Pi Bill is the popular name for bill #246 of the 1897 sitting of the Indiana General Assembly, one of the most famous attempts to establish scientific truth by legislative fiat. Despite that name, the main result claimed by the bill is a method to square the circle, rather than to establish a certain value for the mathematical constant π (pi), the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. However, the bill does contain text that appears to dictate various incorrect values of π, such as 3.2 (when 3.1 is closer, with π = 3.14159265...).

The bill never became law, due to the intervention of a mathematics professor who happened to be present in the legislature.
:anjali:
Mike

John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Cittasanto wrote:LOL, I was thinking this morning vegetarians can now eat Peperoni Pizza as it is legally a vegetable :coffee:
I'll put it on the menu!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Ben wrote:Thanks Cittasanto.
You should check out Jamie Oliver's documentary series on his 'food revolution' in the United States.

The American public does have power, once we are educated.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogall ... -factories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, most of the time we have our head in the sand.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Cittasanto wrote:LOL, I was thinking this morning vegetarians can now eat Peperoni Pizza as it is legally a vegetable :coffee:
This is a slight misunderstanding of the ruling. Pizza was declared to contain a serving of vegetables because of the tomato sauce (as well as a serving of bread, dairy (cheese), etc.). If the slice has pepperoni on it, it would be considered to also contain a serving of meat. It's not an either/or thing.

Your overall point on the ridiculousness of this system: totally valid.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

food vs health.jpg
food vs health.jpg (115.74 KiB) Viewed 3353 times