Herbs/Teas for Stress Relief

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Moth

Herbs/Teas for Stress Relief

Post by Moth »

Hello,

I am looking for some recommendations on herbs or teas that will help with stress.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrofuturist

Re: Herbs/Teas for Stress Relief

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

St.John's Wort
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John's_wort" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Moth,

I have heaps of chamomile growing in my herb garden at work, which is always a pleasure to see. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any staff members avail themselves of the fresh chamomile flowers and make tea. I also like lemongrass tea with honey, peppermint, South African Roibos, bancha (kukicha), and lemon-ginger tea.
My (black) tea favourites include Russian Caravan, Lapsang Souchong, and Orange Pekoe.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Yana

Post by Yana »

I :heart: tea!I have it twice a day to calm my senses lol.

Mostly Twinings Cammomile and Spearmint.

It's good to have while your reading about the dhamma it really calms you down. :namaste:
Life is preparing for Death
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Moth,

Even moreso that what you actually drink, prepare and drink it with mindfulness.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Hello,

If you have stress you should avoid cold drinks. And if you take tea you should take it sweetened with honey. You want a tea that is warming and sweet, and not bitter or astringent. Rich and heavy is good too. Strawberry tea would be good.

Kevin
marc108

Post by marc108 »

my favorite tea for stress is holy basil (tulsi), its not sedating and gives a nice centered energy. 1-3 tsp per day. long term use will help counter the detrimental physiological responses to stress. i drink this regularly, stress or not.

for night time try: 1T chamomile + 1tsp lemon balm

you can also try adding passionflower, skullcap or valerian if you need something more conducive of sleep.

medicinal tea should be brewed as such: freshly boiled water, covered & steeped for 15 minutes. better quality herbs generally have more pronounced effects.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Sarva

Post by Sarva »

Hi Moth
Lime Blossom is useful if you can find it.
E.g. http://www.herb-health-guide.com/lime-blossom.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86
manas

Post by manas »

Hi Moth

Lately I've been seeing how a good night's sleep can affect the rest of the day ahead. Something that works for me in having a restful night's sleep and thus less stress in the day is to not eat too much at dinnertime (so that by bedtime your stomach is more or less empty), and just before going to bed, having a blend of hops - chamomile - passionflower tea. I use the actual flowers (ie, 'loose' tea, not bags). More potent that way. :thumbsup:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

My favorite tea is made with a slice or two of lemon (squeezed) into a piping hot cup of water. Add a packet of your favorite sweetener, sip, and relax. Tastes good before or after meditation.

Caution: Never add tea to a full cup!
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Moth

Post by Moth »

marc108 wrote: better quality herbs generally have more pronounced effects.
Do you recommend any particular website or vendor?
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

Over the years through experiment and various adaptations according to taste I have developed a blend for hot chocolate:

Ingredients

1 cup Hershey's unsweetened chocolate powder
2 cups Splenda for us diabetics or dieters, or sugar for the rest of the world.
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup cinnamon
2 cups French Vanilla Non-dairy Creamer
1 tsp Paprika

Process

Combine components and mix to a homogeneous blend.
Place mix into an air tight container or plastic , zip lock bag for future uses.

Use

Make a half cup of your favorite hot beverage : coffee or Silk.
Add to this one tablespoon of Hot Chocolate Mix.
After thoroughly mixing add another hot half cup of your favorite beverage.

Sip and enjoy!
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Moth wrote:
marc108 wrote: better quality herbs generally have more pronounced effects.
Do you recommend any particular website or vendor?

for tulsi i use: organicindia.com

for everything else i use: mountainroseherbs.com
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Eccedustin

Post by Eccedustin »

Grounded Kratom Powder mixed with cold Applesauce is a great stress reliever and improves focus, well-being, energy and motivation. It is of the same nature as coffee.
The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself! The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself because we are awake, conscious and aware of ourselves. We are the not just in the universe, we are the universe.
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

Relief of leg Cramps and/or cooling drink on hot day, while doing yard work:

Recently I have discovered a blend, which helps to relieve leg cramps, which arise during especially long meditation periods, or working in the yard on hot days:

Equipment Needed
-Large jogging bottle with lid wide enough to allow entry of ice cubes (approx. three in. dia.)
-Ice cube maker

Ingredients:
forty each - Ice cubes
teaspoon - Favorite instant tea or coffee
1 cup - Tonic Water with Quinine
Fill balance of space with water or other favorite beverage.

Process
In a large container: i use a sixteen ounce jogging bottle with a lid.
Add ice cubes to bottle.
Add tea granules
Add tonic water.
Add water or other beverage to fill container to top.
Let chill.
Drink. :anjali:
What Makes an Elder? :