Dhamma book for the completely uninitiated

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
Epistemes

Dhamma book for the completely uninitiated

Post by Epistemes »

There's a thread currently going about which book to give as a gift for somebody who already knows the basics, but what about for somebody who is completely uninitiated? What about if somebody thinks Buddhism is strange but is open to the idea of reading something on it? What's a good way of easing somebody into knowledge of the dhamma?
The wind spins without end,
one moment southward,
the next moment northward.
David2

Re: Dhamma book for the completely uninitiated

Post by David2 »

The books mentioned in the other thread are also good for absolute beginners in my opinion.
"Mindfulness in plain English" is very good because it does not use many Pali terms.
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

Yes, there are a lot of good books in the other thread, but I feel many of the recommendation assume some familiarity with terms like "Buddha," "Dhamma," "Sangha," etc. Many of the recommendations in the other thread are for books that contain much to do with the Pali Canon.

"Mindfulness in Plain English" seems to be a book rooted in some knowledge of what dhamma is or, at least, some desire to want to start meditation.
one moment southward,
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

"Buddhism for Dummies" ?? :shrug:

(No insult intended or implied. :tongue: )
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Here is an excellent book for beginners and it is completely available online. It is currently available in 31 different languages!

http://www.goodquestiongoodanswer.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Epistemes

Post by Epistemes »

David,

What a great resource! A link worth bookmarking.
one moment southward,
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Epistemes wrote:What about if somebody thinks Buddhism is strange but is open to the idea of reading something on it? What's a good way of easing somebody into knowledge of the dhamma?
Buddhism For The Modern Skeptic (PDF)
http://www.justbegood.net/Downloads/e-b ... %201_1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:geek:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Ajahn Brahm's "Opening the Door of your Heart", also published as "Who Ordered this Truckload of Dung?"
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

I personally love, "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula. It's one of my favorite intro books and I think I am due for another read. I had the good fortune of giving a copy to a person seeking the Dhamma this weekend!
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

The first book I came across about buddhism was "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula. It is especially good to give this book to a skeptic because it says rather harsh things about people fabricating god and soul to comfort themselves instead of just seeing reality how it is. I also like the way it described anatta.

However, I think I'm gonna check out that book "Buddhism For The Modern Skeptic" that another poster put up because that sounds interesting
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."