MN 130 Devaduta Sutta: The Deva Messengers

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
Alex123

Re: MN 130 Devaduta Sutta: The Deva Messengers

Post by Alex123 »

daverupa wrote:(SN v. MN? :jedi: )
Maybe in MN the Buddha was talking "conventionally" using common concepts while in SN He was talking "Ultimately" (using more precise and technical language). Both are correct, and differ only in way of expression.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

A modern update: Hell for pot smokers at Wat Muang.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wat+Muang ... 05558&z=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drug_hell.jpg
drug_hell.jpg (85.46 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

cooran wrote:Hello Mike, all,

I find this an unusual sutta - a place of punishment - like the Christian hell.
I wonder what vipaka those doing the torturing are storing up for themselves?
I would be interested to read any further information or scholarly comments about this sutta.

with metta
Chris
I don't see this as a place of punishment so much as a place where the consequences of our own actions can be demonstrated for us to study. Buddha in this dissertation explains and warns by vivid example how we must take great pains to reflect upon the consequences of our intentional actions "before" taking them. :coffee:

Thanks to those who initiated and are participating in this study group. :anjali:

_/\_Ron
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.