Are ther any Buddhist rites for Exorcising Demons?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Buddhist Prime

Post by Buddhist Prime »

Has there ever been a demonic possession ever recorded in Buddhism?
And if so has there ever been a Buddhist Exorcism that expelled the demon?

I'm just curious as to why Christianity is so full of them,
yet I have never heard of Buddhism ever having anything like it.
I always concluded that maybe Christianity had demons in it
already that's why it has had such a bloody history, I dunno.
Because I read this book, The Dark Side of Christian History:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Dark-Side-Chr ... 610&sr=8-1

On Yahoo Answers, anytime somebody asked about how to cast a demon out,
I would copy and paste this answer:
Buddhism has never had a case of demonic possession, or a need for Exorcisms, or problems with ghosts or demons, that should tell ya something. The cross thing-a-ma-jig doesn't work like people think it does, ya need something more powerful.

Acquire the Protection of the Buddha.
Wear a Buddhist Swastika Necklace for protection. You can get them from here: http://www.ezluxe.com/accessories/index ... 18c387352a
Of course, I really don't know, so to be sure, I figured I ask and see if anybody knows anything.
My Profile, everything you ever wanted to know about me and why:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11895
retrofuturist

Re: Are ther any Buddhist rites for Exorcising Demons?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I'm pretty sure there are instances of demon possession, in which case your boilerplate response would be incorrect.

From memory, I think such possession constitutes one of the grounds for being exonerated for one's actions in the Vinaya. Whether 'demon possession' is literal, or whether it might be referring to mental illness, epileptic fits or something else, I'm not sure.

Either way, if I were you, I'd hold off in responding in such a way until you get confirmation, unless you wish to risk misrepresenting the Dhamma.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
plwk

Post by plwk »

Firstly, perhaps this may be of help..

Secondly, the one account I have read of and related to your question from the Pali Sutta is the Ratana Sutta otherwise as far as I know in the Theravada Tradition, there is a practice of reciting verses from the Suttas for various occasions and from what I have known in life, even for those who are 'troubled' in the context of your question, the methods do vary from going for psychiatric and spiritual counselling, making offerings to the Triple Gem to organising a group of laity/monastics to do a Paritta Chanting session.

Thirdly, imo, the best 'exorcism' is the preventive measure taken by one to learn and practice with worthy teacher(s)/center/temple, kalyanamittas and one's own daily and faithful practice...

Fourthly, here's one video I have from seen before some years back and I leave it to you to make out what it may be...

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

To my reading of the texts I have to simply echo Retro, and confirm his memory, although it does not specify demon, in the western understanding, from my memory.
The closest thing to an excorcism is the Metta Sutta which was used by monks, in the origin story, to calm down some tree devas who were causing them trouble.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Moggalana

Post by Moggalana »

Ajahn Chah knew how to deal with demons ;-)
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Moggalana wrote:Ajahn Chah knew how to deal with demons ;-)
so cool
carlosm

Post by carlosm »

Moggalana wrote:Ajahn Chah knew how to deal with demons ;-)
love this story, thanks for sharing it!
GraemeR

Post by GraemeR »

Buddhist Prime wrote:
Of course, I really don't know, so to be sure, I figured I ask and see if anybody knows anything.
I live in Thailand and Thai tradition is full of spirits, ghosts and the like. There is also some Buddhism mixed in.

If you want to know more try going to youtube and search Thai ghost, exorcism or the like. Or if you like send me a message and I can give details of my experiences off list.

With metta,

Graham
santa100

Post by santa100 »

The Buddhist view on demons isn't really antagonistic because the Buddha taught us that they're just other kinds of sentient beings in the 6 realms full of afflictions and suffering just like us humans. That's why the attitude isn't to exorcise them, but to try to spread the Buddha's compassion and wisdom to them through one's own observance of precepts and the practice of metta meditation. If one's intention is sincere enough, those demons will recognize that annoying other people would only make their kamma worse and worse, thus piling more and more suffering to themselves. The best way is to take refuge in the Triple Gem and apply lessons of compassion and wisdom that the Great Teacher has taught.
greatyu

Post by greatyu »

Hi, im a theravada buddhist, and about exorcisms regarding demons, there is a particular sutta called "Atanatiya" which is used to invite the spirits and demons and then send them away with the words of dhamma. It is a part of Maha Pirith, and is chanted early in the morning. We were strongly advised to stay indoors during the chant. Ultimately, if accidentally a person gets possessed he or she is taken to a nearby temple and is given Pirith pan (something like holy water) and the spirits leaves the body.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

"To free a Buddhist from an evil spirit, the Atanatiya Sutta should only be recited as a last resort after trying to do so through the recitation of the Metta Sutta, the Dhajagga Sutta and the Ratana Sutta—and even then only by knowledgeable members of the Sangha."

More on the Atanatiya sutta and Paritta here
http://sasanarakkha.org/talks/2003/03/f ... ings.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hanzze_

Post by hanzze_ »

santa100 wrote:The Buddhist view on demons isn't really antagonistic because the Buddha taught us that they're just other kinds of sentient beings in the 6 realms full of afflictions and suffering just like us humans. That's why the attitude isn't to exorcise them, but to try to spread the Buddha's compassion and wisdom to them through one's own observance of precepts and the practice of metta meditation. If one's intention is sincere enough, those demons will recognize that annoying other people would only make their kamma worse and worse, thus piling more and more suffering to themselves. The best way is to take refuge in the Triple Gem and apply lessons of compassion and wisdom that the Great Teacher has taught.
:goodpost: very imported message, which should be always in mind. We do not free us from them but we free us from the fear of them. And therefore the support of the suttas, which should be understood and not only chanted.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Maybe not the right place but ask at the sister forum dharmawheel.net
hanzze_

Post by hanzze_ »

Of cause there you will get offered more spectaculars.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

From Ajahn Thanissaro's notes on the Vinaya -
A bhikkhu who kills a "non-human being" — a yakkha, nāga, or peta — or a devatā (this last is in the Commentary) incurs a thullaccaya. According to the Commentary, when a spirit possesses a human being or an animal, it can be exorcised in either of two ways. The first is to command it to leave: This causes no injury to the spirit and results in no offense. The second is to make a doll out of flour paste or clay and then to cut off various of its parts (!). If one cuts off the hands and feet, the spirit loses its hands and feet. If one cuts off the head, the spirit dies, which is grounds for a thullaccaya.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... .ch04.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've not located the primary source in the Vinaya though. Anyone care to try?

For a portable exorcism device used by laity in Thai Buddhism, you do have the meed-mors (special knives). These are consecrated to invoke -

1. Sakka's Vajirāvudha
2. Vessavana's Gadāvudha
3. Ālavaka's Dussāvudha
4. Yama's Nayanāyudha
5. Vishnu's Chakra.

The first 4 are mentioned in the Commentaries, but the fifth probably snuck in during the Puranic period.